Attend an Information Day and hear from current students, faculty members and staff about course work, work integrated learning opportunities, financial aid, admission requirements, etc. in the Master of Information (MI) & Master of Museum Studies (MMSt) Programs; as well as the Combined Degree Program (CDP) option (MI + MMSt). Click Here To Register!
The Master of Museum Studies (MMSt) is the only English-speaking master’s program of its kind in Canada. It is both academic and professional from the integration of museological theory with experience. Celebrating its 50th year, Museum Studies is focusing on risk-taking to inspire leadership and innovation in the profession and among students. You will contribute to communities by improving the relevance of cultural institutions, and encouraging social responsibility in a rapidly evolving world.
MMSt Program Director: Prof. Cara Krmpotich
Museum professionals manage collections, create educational programs for the public, organize exhibitions, manage projects, run cultural institutions, and many other aspects of museum and heritage work. They uncover stories, bring them to life, and preserve for future generations. These professions are undergoing constant evolution driven by the changes of the modern digital information era.
- Gain comprehensive knowledge of the functions of museums in their broader social and cultural contexts.
- Be forward-focussed and understand where museums are headed in the future.
- Develop a strong theoretical background and professional understanding of museum origins, ideologies, changing philosophies and current practices.
- Learn methodologies for research
- Core courses examine museological scholarship and its practical application in different environments and facets, including:
- digital heritage
- global cultures and museums
- museum education and programming
- museum management
- Develop practical skills and pursue special interests by participating in:
- an optional 12-week summer internship (see 2015 experiences via PDF)
- a graduating exhibition project option (if not taking the Thesis option)