Enrollment & Registration

Experience the Faculty of Information

Here are the resources to help you create a fulfilling journey at the Faculty.

COVID-19 related updates regarding the Summer Term and more can be found on the COVID-19 information for students.

Please review the information below regarding the enrollment and registration process. If you have any questions, please consult the Student Services team at inquire.ischool@utoronto.ca.

Page directory:

Quick links to other academic regulations:


Auditing Courses

The Faculty of Information follows the University of Toronto’s Policy on Auditing of Courses.

To request to audit a course:

    • Complete the Application to Audit an iSchool Course form
    • Request for the instructor’s approval to audit their course; get the instructor’s signature on the form if permissible
    • Submit the completed form to Student Services for final approval.If a course is full, even with instructor’s permission, you may not be eligible to audit the course.

An audit fee ($500) will apply to individuals outside of UofT.


back to the top

Understanding Course Codes

Before you begin at the iSchool, you may wish to get a refresher on how to read University of Toronto course codes and how to read them to ensure you are enrolling into courses of the appropriate level, and in the correct term!

Please view this guide on understanding University of Toronto / Faculty of Information course codes.


back to the top

Course Loads

Standard course loads for MI students:

Full-Time Part-Time
Regular Academic Year
Fall session: Sept-Dec 2.0 credits 1.0 credit
Winter session: Jan-Apr 2.0 credits 1.0 credit
Summer session: May-Aug
optional term
2.0 credits 1.0 credit


For our MI full-time students: Reducing your courseload to 1.0-credits in a term does NOT automatically switch you to PT. Our MI students are able to remain as a FT student despite only carrying 1.0-credits or less. To transfer from a FT status to PT status – an active step that needs to be taken (details can be found on our transfer page).

Standard course loads for MMSt students: Full-Time status with 2.0-credits per term allowed; Summer session is optional.

Standard course loads for CDP students: Full-time status with 2.0-credits per term allowed (though some terms might have a 2.5-credits allowable quota); Summer session is optional.

Standard course loads for BI students: Full-time status with 2.5-credits per term in the Fall and Winter; part-time status with 1.0-credits in the Summer.

Standard course loads for Doctoral students: continuous Full-time status throughout their degree duration.

For students that may be interested in taking additional courses, please review information on taking extra courses.

Also, if you wish to take an additional course in a term:

    • Students who wish to take an additional course beyond their standard course load in a term must submit an Add/Drop Course Form with a statement of rationale by the final date to enrol into course(s) for the term you wish to take the course in;
    • Submitting a request does not guarantee enrollment. Each request is reviewed on a case by case basis;
    • First year students in their first term are ineligible to request for an additional course.


back to the top

Enrollment & Registration Guides

Fall & Winter Guides


Summer Guides

For our MI/MMSt students that are interested in enrolling and taking courses in the Summer, the Student Services team has created the MI/MMSt Summer 2020 Enrollment & Registration handbook with term-specific information and resource on how to read UofT course codes; enrolling for courses and getting registered for the term; important academic dates & deadlines; Summer courses and timetables and fees. A must read!

For our undergraduate and doctoral students interested in taking courses over the Summer, please connect with your academic advisor for guidance.


back to the top

Confirmation of Registration

Students may need a letter to confirm their status at the University and Faculty for a variety of reasons. Depending on what the need of the letter is, we have outlined the various types and ways students could go about obtaining that confirmation.


back to the top

Coursework Extensions — Requesting Extensions Beyond the End of Term

Please view this page.


back to the top

Dropping Courses

Students may wish to drop a course/course(s) that they are taking for a variety of reasons. It is important to familiarize yourself with the drop process.


back to the top

External Courses — Taking Courses Outside of Your Degree Program

Taking external courses is a great way to broaden your competencies beyond the walls of the Claude Bissell building. An “external” courses refer to any course that is outside of your current degree program.

For our Bachelor’s and Master’s students students, please follow our guide on taking external courses.

For our doctoral students, please review the information under the PhD degree program page, and click on “Procedures to enrol in elective courses”.


back to the top

Extra Courses: taking courses not required for your degree program

Please view this page.


back to the top

Reading Courses

Reading Courses serve as a way to meet the needs of individual students who wish to explore topics not covered by courses currently offered at the Faculty of Information. They are categorized as elective courses, and are subject to the same regulations as other elective courses.

For our Bachelor’s and Master’s students, please follow our guide on Reading courses.

For our doctoral students, please review the information under the PhD degree program page, and click on “Procedures to enrol in elective courses” to review information on reading courses within the PhD program.


back to the top

Transfer Credits, Exemptions & Pre-requisite Waivers

Please view this page.


back to the top

Transferring / Switching

Our Bachelor, MMSt, and Doctoral programs are only offered on a full-time basis. If you are experiencing difficulties in managing your courseload, please connect with the your academic advisor on available options. You may also be interested to review our Wellness and Learning supports page on Faculty, University and external resources.

back to the top