Extension requests during the term is something that is typically negotiated between students and their instructors directly.
However, if an extension is needed to go beyond the end of the term, then students need to petition to the Committee on Standing for an official coursework extension. It is important for students in such a situation to request and arrange an appointment with your academic advisor, from the Student Services team. An academic advisor can help with academic planning based on your unique circumstances.
The Committee on Standing typically convenes at the end of each term:
- Summer petitions: end of August/beginning of September
- Fall petitions: end of December/beginning of January
- Winter petitions: end of April/beginning of May
Required documents for the petition:
- Complete an Extension to Complete Coursework form
- Undergraduate students: please use the Faculty of Information Extension to Complete Coursework form
- Graduate students: please use the SGS Extension to Complete Coursework form
- Do note that your instructor needs to complete Section 2.
- Provide a statement on (max 1 page):
- The extenuating circumstance(s) that negatively impacted your ability to complete the coursework on time
- If the extenuating circumstance(s) still persist, how do you plan to overcome the circumstances to complete the missed coursework?
- The plan with which you hope to complete all the missed coursework in a timely fashion
- Provide any supporting document(s):
- For instance, if the student was negatively impacted by a medical situation, the student is required to provide a Verification of Illness.
- If the student is registered with the Accessibility Services, a letter from the student’s accessibility advisor will suffice as supporting document.
- Submit the above documents to Student Services through the advisor.
Legitimate reasons for an extension can be academic in nature (e.g.unexpected problems of research in a course) or non academic (e.g. illness, personal, etc.). The Committee may or may not support the request based on the reasons submitted by students and supporting documentation. Generally, the Committee will only consider documented, extraordinary, unexpected circumstances as valid reasons for wanting to request for coursework extension into a subsequent term.
The student need to demonstrate that:
- They were in a situation that was unforeseeable and that was sufficiently serious that it prevented the them from completing the coursework on time.
- They would not be placing in jeopardy the normal and satisfactory completion of new course work (if their coursework extension request were approved). The Committee on Standing may determine that new course work should not be undertaken until the outstanding course work is completed, or that an extension should not be provided given the amount of new coursework the student may undertake.
- They have a reasonable chance of completing outstanding requirements within the time to be allotted.
The Committee on Standing will communicate with students who have requested an Extension to complete course work. There are only two possible outcomes:
- Approved petitions for an extension will identify the new deadline.
- Denied petitions will be assigned the grade the student has earned for completed work and zero for any incomplete work. Students may appeal a denied petition to the Academic Appeals Committee.