Welcome to MI/MMSt 2020 Summer Enrolment & Registration Handbook.
COVID-19 related updates regarding the Summer Term and more can be found on the COVID-19 Information for Students.
Please review the information below on the enrolment and registration process. If you have any questions, please consult the Student Services team at firstname.lastname@example.org.
For our undergraduate and doctoral students interested in taking courses over the Summer, please connect with your academic advisor.
Before you even begin, you may wish to get a refresher in understanding UofT course codes and how to read them to ensure you are enrolling into courses of the appropriate level, and in the correct Summer sub-session.
Understanding “enrollment” & “registration”
Enrollment is the process of choosing and signing up for courses on the University of Toronto Student Web Service, also known as ACORN. You will need to log into ACORN with your UTORid and password.
If you are registered over the Fall and Winter terms, then you will be automatically registered for the Summer session.
If you are not registered over the Fall and Winter terms, and would like to take Summer courses, please contact Student Services.
To add/enroll into a course, you will do so through ACORN, under “Enrol & Manage”.
Students are only able to add/enrol into courses once enrollment has started. Every graduate unit have their own enrollment start time for the Summer term. Be sure to review the information shared under “Dates and Deadlines for the Summer” (below) to find out the Faculty of Information Summer enrollment start times. If you are interested in enrolling into courses outside of your degree program, please review our guide on taking external courses.
Standard course loads:
|Regular Academic Year|
|♦ Fall session: Sept-Dec||2.0 credits||1.0 credit|
|♦ Winter session: Jan-Apr||2.0 credits||1.0 credit|
|♦ Summer session: May-Aug [optional term]||2.0 credits||1.0 credit|
- Students who wish to take an additional course beyond their standard course load in a term must submit an Add/Drop Course Form with a statement of rationale by the final date to enrol into course(s) for the term you wish to take the course in;
- Submitting a request does not guarantee enrolment. Each request is reviewed on a case by case basis;
- First year students in their first term are ineligible to request for an additional course.
Likewise, if you need to drop course(s) during an academic term, you will also do so through ACORN. Every term, there is a deadline by which students can drop course(s) without any academic penalty. Please refer to “Dates and Deadlines for the Summer” below to find out the drop deadlines for Summer courses.
Important Notes on Dropping Courses:
- Dropping courses after the drop deadline is typically allowed. Please see our guide on dropping courses for detailed information.
- The last date to drop a course or cancel registration with no academic penalty is not the same as the last date to be eligible for a refund.
- Tip: When dropping a course through ACORN, cross-check your academic record (transcript) to your course list or timetable to ensure that you have truly withdrawn from any course(s) you intended to drop on/by each deadline.
- All ACORN waitlists will be cancelled the evening prior to the deadline date and you will automatically be removed from all waitlists.
- Late drop requests after the deadline are normally only considered for documented health or other serious personal circumstances and will need approval from the Committee on Standing, or the external graduate unit offering the course, and the School of Graduate Studies. See our guide on dropping courses for detailed instructions on requesting a late withdrawal from a course.
- For graduate students: Please note that the graduate grading policy does not require assignments be returned prior to the drop deadline. Waiting for mid-term results is not a valid reason to miss the drop deadline.
Dates and deadlines for the Summer
Enrolment start times:
|Phase 1 – All students will be able to add two (2) half courses only (or the equivalent of 1.0 credit): starting at 6 am on Wednesday, April 1, 2020
|Phase 2 – only Full time students will be allowed to add an additional two (2) half courses (or the equivalent of 1.0 credit): starting at 6 am on Wednesday, April 8, 2020
|All times are eastern standard time as per ACORN.|
Summer Session Dates
|First session (F)– classes are from May 4 to June 15 and exam week is from June 16-19.
|Second session (S)– classes are from July to August 17 and exam week is from August 18-21.
|Full session (Y)– classes are from May 4 to August 17, no classes from June 29-July 3 and exam week is from August 18-21. Midterm assessments could be scheduled for the week of June 16-19.
|Detailed Dates and Deadlines for the Faculty can be found here: https://ischool.utoronto.ca/current-students/academic-resources/academic-dates-deadlines/|
Summer courses and timetable
Information on Summer courses and their respective schedules are available online. You should always make it a habit to check regularly for any updates on Summer courses!
Taking external courses
Broaden your competencies by taking courses outside of your degree program.
Summer Tuition and Fees
Everything you need to know about Summer tuition and fees (or the lack of!), and where to apply for Summer OSAP.
Make sure you are meeting degree requirements with the courses you have selected.