The information below is only applicable to MI students. Our Bachelor, MMSt, and Doctoral programs are only offered on a full-time basis. If you are experiencing difficulties in managing your courseload, please connect with your academic advisor on all available options.
You may also be interested to review our Wellness and Learning supports page on Faculty, University and external resources.
- Transferring from full-time to part-time
- Transferring from part-time to full-time
- Transferring between concentrations
- Transferring to the Faculty of Information
Transferring from Full-Time (FT) to Part-Time (PT)
For students considering switching registration status from FT to PT, please keep in mind that this switch must be done prior to the start of the winter session in your second year or you will be locked in as a FT student as per SGS policy.
PT students are eligible to take up to 1.0-credits per term, and FT students are eligible to take up to 2.0-credits per term.
Example for an MI student who started their program Fall 2018:
Fall 2020: FT
Winter 2021: FT
Summer 2021: FT
Fall 2021: FT
*FINAL PERIOD TO SWITCH TO PT*
Winter 2022: switched to PT [If not switched to PT by early-January 2022, FT student is locked in as FT]
Students who transfer from full-time status to part-time status will be eligible to pay part-time tuition fees once the transfer/switch has been made. Important note: Part-time students may likely be subject to a Balance of Degree fee, upon completing degree requirements.
Transferring from part-time (PT) to full-time (FT)
For students considering switching from PT to FT: students often switch to FT so that they are able to speed up completing their degree requirements. PT students are eligible to take up to 1.0-credits per term, and FT students are eligible to take up to 2.0-credits per term.
Students who transfer from part-time status to full-time status will be charged full-time tuition fees once the transfer/switch has been made. Important note: you may be subject to a Balance of Degree fee, upon completing degree requirements.
Transferring between concentrations
For students considering switching from one concentration to another, or to add another concentration to their MI degree (MI students are eligible to pick up to 2 concentrations), you are eligible to do so on ACORN at anytime during your study period with the Faculty, prior to graduation.
Prior to adding/dropping a concentration, students may wish to discuss their academic plan with an advisor first to discuss your academic planning.
To enrol into/add a concentration:
- Log into ACORN with your UTORid and Password
- From the ACORN dashboard, click ‘Enrol & Manage’ on the left hand menu
- On the Enrol & Manage landing screen click the ‘Programs’ button.
- To enrol in a concentration, use the search field to search for concentration by concentration title. Results will start appearing after three characters.
- Click on the concentration you would like to enrol in.
- On the program enrolment pop-up modal, review the information presented and click Enrol.
To drop a concentration:
- On the Programs screen, click the gear icon on the top right corner of the concentration you want to drop.
- Select “Remove Program” from the drop-down menu that appears.
- On the program pop-up modal that appears, review the information presented and click ‘Drop’.
- If you have successfully dropped the concentration you will receive a success notice on the top right corner of your screen and the concentration will no longer be listed under your currently enrolled programs.
Transferring to the Faculty of Information
For prospective students that may wish to transfer to the Faculty of Information should consult the admission requirements of our degree programs.