2019 SGS Indigenous Graduate Travel Award
Student Deadline: February 15, 2019
Value/Duration: Up to $1000 each
Level of Study: Full-time master’s or doctoral students
Results: Late-March 2019
The SGS Indigenous Graduate Travel Award provides financial assistance to University of Toronto Indigenous graduate students to participate in educational and experiential learning in Canada or abroad in activities specifically focused on Indigenous student or education issues. Possible activities include Indigenous-focused events, workshops, meetings, field trips, competitions, and other educational-related activities off campus approved by the Supporting Aboriginal Graduate Enhancement group (SAGE) or the Centre for Indigenous Studies at the University of Toronto.
Up to 10 awards of $1,000 each will be awarded annually, and applications will be considered in winter each year. Amounts are based on the recommendation of the S.A.G.E. Award committee, in conjunction with the Centre for Indigenous Studies.
Eligibility to Apply
Applicants must be:
- Indigenous to North America (e.g. recognized in the Constitution Act, 1982 as a person who identifies with First nations (Status/Non-Status), Métis, or Inuit);
- Registered full-time in a graduate degree program (master’s or doctoral) when:
- Submitting the application;
- Participating in the Activity/Conference; and
- Requesting payment of award.
- Planning to attend activities specifically focused on Indigenous student or education issues;
- Be actively participating in the educational and/or experiential learning activity that occurs between December 1, 2018 – December 31, 2019; and
- If travelling outside of Canada, compliant with all departmental and U of T Safety Abroad procedures prior to travel.
The PDF application is available from the SGS Travel & Conference Awards webpage. The application contains the following sections, which must be completed:
- Student Information;
- Activity Information;
- Statement of Justification/Eligibility;
- Budget & Summary of Expenses;
- Travel Award holders’ Responsibilities;
- Release Form/Collection of Use of Image; and
- Letter of Support from a member of the university community (including Academic Elder, Staff and Faculty Members)
Completed applications must be submitted via email to email@example.com by February 15, 2019.
Safety Abroad Requirements
All U of T students participating in educational activities outside of Canada (including USA) must complete the following steps before the travel occurs (regardless of receiving SGS Indigenous Graduate Travel Award support):
- Complete the online registration request form. This should occur at least one month before departure. The Safety Abroad Office will register the student and send a confirmation email.
- Sign on to the Safety Abroad Database and complete a profile, including emergency contact, passport and travel health insurance information.
- Attend the appropriate Safety Abroad Workshop (valid for 1.5 years).
- Sign and submit waivers to the Safety Abroad Office.
- Submit a Safety Planning Record (if applicable).
- Obtain supplementary health insurance (if not already covered).
For travel to a region designated by the Global Affairs Canada as “Avoid Non-Essential Travel” or “Avoid All Travel,” students must contact the Safety Abroad Office at firstname.lastname@example.org as soon as possible to request special approval for the trip.
Please contact the Safety Abroad Office at email@example.com for further information.
Travel conducted outside of Canada without completing all Safety Abroad requirements will cause automatic forfeiture of the SGS Indigenous Travel Award
All applicants will receive an email notifying them of the result of their application via their U of T email address in late March 2019.
Successful applicants will receive information regarding the offer amount, the terms and conditions of the award, and information regarding payment activation and collection deadlines.
Successful applicants must submit the following required documents as a single PDF file via email to firstname.lastname@example.org to receive payment of the award:
- Receipts for all travel expenses up to the award offer amount (e.g. airfare, train, accommodations, meals, registration fee); and
- Student’s Travel Reflection/Testimonial.
Contact and Resources