|ATS Labs is accessibility, mental health and aging tech startups. We are looking for a student or recent graduate to join us full-time or part-time as our Inclusive Design Lead.
ATS Labs provides unique programming and resources tailored to startups in the accessibility, mental health and aging tech sectors. Our participants go through an extensive program covering topics like inclusive design, co-creation, inclusive marketing, customer acquisition in the disability space, and much more. The program includes access to 45+ sessions, 50+ speakers and mentors from around the world, over a dozen supporting organizations, and membership in the newly launched Inclusive Innovation Network. Our first three-month virtual cohort launched in August 2021 with 10 participating startups.
As the Inclusive Design Lead, your role will be to help build ATS Labs training and consulting arm focused on inclusive design. This arm will aim to help external clients apply inclusive design principles in product development and innovation. Clients could include accessibility or general tech startups, scaleups, enterprise clients, other accelerators, and not-for-profits.
You will have the opportunity to work directly with ATS Labs’ founding team and have full access to our extensive network. You will also support our portfolio startups as an in-house inclusive design expert, making this one of the most high-visibility and high-impact roles in the organization.
Timing: November 2021 February 2022 (contract with possibility of extension)
Location: Remote, but GTA preferred. Must be eligible to work in Canada
Compensation: $18 to $22/hour, 20 to 37.5 hours per week (part time or full time). Additional performance-based compensation may be available
- Develop an inclusive design training with a focus on application of inclusive design in product development, innovation and co-creation
- Working with the leadership team, identify potential projects and collaboration opportunities for ATS Labs to extend support in inclusive design
- Advise ATS Labs portfolio startups in inclusive design and co-creation
- Identify and partner with other organizations in the disability inclusion space for access to relevant communities, to invite them to participate in paid co-creation projects
- Gather and evaluate data from projects to determine progress towards clients goals
Hard skills looking for:
- Must have experience in, or completed coursework in inclusive design not just from a digital accessibility perspective but also a broader, product development perspective
- Must be familiar with digital accessibility best practices, including at a minimum, understanding of Accessible Canada Act, Accessibility for Ontarians with Disabilities Act and WCAG 2.1 requirements
- Must be able to design high-quality training materials in PowerPoint, Canva, or any other relevant software. Strong graphic design skills will be a significant asset
Soft skills looking for:
- Should be comfortable interacting with clients and ATS Labs portfolio startups, relationship
development and general networking, as these will be a necessary part of the job
- A drive to independently figure things out and keep pushing forward when there are no clear
answers. This is a highly self-directed leadership role and you will be required to figure things
out with limited inputs. If you enjoy rolling up your sleeves and solving complex problems, you
will love the work
- A knack for off-the-beaten-path ideas, and a track record of implementing them. You will be
joining us in creating something from a blank slate, so quirky, fun, unusual and unprecedented
ideas are highly encouraged
- Formal experience in a work-like setting is not a requirement, we only ask that you demonstrate
your ability to do the tasks required by this role. Whether you gained your relevant skills
through a professional job, startup, side project, student club or even a serious hobby, it is all
- Our Summer 2021 Intern: Working with the ATS team was a great introduction to the accessibility
community! Learning about inclusive marketing, seeing leaders in disability inclusion in action had a
huge impact on me. It was an awesome mix of challenges, creative exploration, and fun!
- People with disabilities are encouraged to apply! As a not-for-profit working for disability inclusion, lived experience with disabilities is a tangible asset that will add to our mission
- We don’t have a “minimum experience” requirement – just demonstrate in your application that you can do the job
- This opportunity is a great way to push the envelop in inclusive design and innovation, while getting access to a global network of accessibility innovators
- In the spirit of off-the-beaten path, we will share most of the interview questions with the shortlisted candidates in advance – we want you to put your best foot forward!
Applications must be submitted at accesstosuccess.ca/inclusive-design-lead no later than September 30th, 2021 to be considered.