The University’s Institutional Research and Data Governance (IRDG) office was formally launched in 2020. In addition to providing the leadership and administrative support for the institution’s data strategy, the IRDG office’s mandate is to:
provide reporting and analytics services within our distributed institutional research model: lead institution-wide analysis projects, provide training opportunities for divisional analysts, implement new analytics tools and platforms, and improve access to curated institutional data sets;
implement an institution-wide Data Governance program to support the University in strategically harnessing data to achieve institutional goals;
support external reporting of institutional data (SMA metrics, key performance indicators for governance, international rankings, data exchanges with peer institutions).
Under the general guidance of the Manager, Institutional Data Governance, the Data Governance Specialist contributes to the implementation of the Institutional Data Governance Program. The Specialist is responsible for the analysis, design, and implementation of data governance initiatives. Key deliverables for this role include the analysis, design and development of tools, guidance and supports to units across the University. The role will also engage in training and communications activities to empower units to manage institutional data appropriately and as a strategic asset.
The Data Governance Specialist will support initiatives related to the curation of institutional data and their responsible use. This role will develop tools and processes that support the development and management of data sets to ensure they are useable across the institution, including those related to data quality and metadata. The Specialist will support defining the roles and responsibilities accountable for the strategic oversight and management of institutional datasets. The role will also support developing guidance, tools, education and oversight on data access and use.
The role of the Data Governance Specialist will respond to the given priorities of the day and will work cooperatively in a challenging and dynamic environment.
University degree in information management, information policy or post graduate experience in information management or policy.
- Minimum four (4) years’ relevant experience in progressively senior positions or equivalent
- Strong understanding of best-in-class principles for data management, data policy, data analytics, business intelligence and records management
- Experience dealing with data quality issues, understanding of data quality issues types and data governance policies
- Experience and knowledge of data governance in a cross-functional environment of multiple data sources/repositories
- Experience administering data governance software on cloud-based platforms
- Demonstrated track record of relaying complex messages related to data management and use as well as technology solutions to non-technical audiences
- Demonstrated track record of defining and delivering measurable outcomes in a highly complex stakeholder environment
- Strong writing, communication, and presentation skills
- Excellent organizational skills in planning, project management and task coordination
- Recognized for excellent interpersonal skills to build and foster relationships across all levels of the organization
- An excellent understanding of the University’s mission and intersection with the broader community
- Project management experience is an asset
- Experience working with large volumes of data
- Experience working in a large, distributed organization
- Strong understanding of various data types and associated lifecycles (e.g. master data, reference data, transactional data, etc.)
- Strong understanding of data protection management practices and regulatory requirements
- Expertise with industry standards tools for data governance and data quality
- Advanced computer skills in Microsoft Office.
- Experience working with SharePoint is an asset
- Project management qualifications are an asset
- Familiarity with Acrobat and other Adobe software is an asset.
- Experience with cloud-based data and analytics platforms services (Microsoft Azure is an asset)
Strong research, writing, communication, presentation and interpersonal skills; ability to work under pressure; familiarity with University governance, higher education sector, and public sector administration; high degree of political acuity and judgment; ability to deal with senior University Officers in a manner which facilitates cooperation and consensus building; ability to work independently with a high degree of initiative, discretion, and tact; superior organizational skills in planning, project management and task coordination; flexibility and problem solver orientation; and strong leadership capabilities.