|Social Worker/Therapist (Keswick Site)
Permanent, Full-time (35 hours per week)
$63,025.80 – $74,148.00 + Health Benefits and HOOPP
Location: 716 The Queensway South, Keswick, Ontario, L4P 4C9The Vaughan Community Health Centre is a not-for-profit, community-governed organization providing primary health care, social services, and illness prevention programs primarily to the residents of the Western and Northern York Region. In particular,
we serve those people experiencing barriers to accessing health care services due to culture, language, age, chronic illness, or the like. As part of the health promotion framework of our services, we work in partnership with other community-based health and
social service organizations to address individual, family and community needs.The VCHC has expanded its primary health care services. Specifically, the VCHC has implemented a direct referral system to improve access to inter-professional care by allowing non-team-based family physicians to connect vulnerable (medically and socially complex) patients to services available at the VCHC.POSITION SUMMARY:
As a member of the interdisciplinary team, the Social Worker/Therapist works within the Centre’s mission and strategic directions to provide psychosocial counselling to individuals,
couples, families, and groups.RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Maximize the functioning and independence of clients by providing psychosocial counseling services to individuals, couples, families and groups and maintaining proper records.
- Provide clinical assessment, intervention, treatment planning and counseling to clients with mental health and addiction issues.
- Deal effectively with addictive patterns of behavior and other mental health, behavioural and emotional concerns such as abuse, violence, grief, and loss, etc.
- Act as a resource person to Centre staff, clients, and community residents by compiling information on community resources and facilitate access to those resources by liaising with community groups.
- Ensure comprehensive treatment for clients by providing information to other Centre professionals on an ongoing basis and by providing consultation on psychosocial issues to Centre staff.
- Ensure appropriate treatment is delivered by maintaining client records, assessment notes and correspondence within the safeguard of confidentiality.
- Contribute to development of new programs that address community health needs by collaborating with Centre staff and other related agencies to identify, recommend and/or develop resources, materials and/or programs; participate in the delivery and evaluation of the program(s).
- Provide leadership for appropriate community educational programs related to mental health and addictions in consultation with the Health Promotion Team.
- Supervise social work students in field placement practicums.
SKILLS AND QUALIFICATIONS:
- Masters degree in a recognized mental health profession from an accredited educational institution.
- Current member in good standing in a self-regulating professional body.
- Three to five years of experience in general clinical practice (individual, couple, family, group therapy).
- Thorough knowledge of and proficiency in current assessment and psychosocial counseling techniques.
- Demonstrated experience in providing services to clients living with substance use, mental health, and trauma.
- Knowledge of systemic issues such as poverty, unemployment, stigma, medications, and the isolation felt by individuals affected by addictions.
- An understanding of the Ontario Mental Health Act, Mental Health reform principles, the Substitute Decisions Act, the Health Care Consent Act, and relevant privacy legislation at both the provincial and federal levels.
- Familiarity with and some skill in community development.
- Demonstrated ability to deal effectively with crises.
- Excellent communication, interpersonal and group facilitation skills.
- Demonstrated ability to work in a multi-disciplinary team environment.
- Ability to speak a second language relevant to the Vaughan and Keswick areas.
- Proficiency and experience working in a computerized environment.
Interviews will occur on rolling basis; please apply as soon as you can.
Successful candidates must undergo a Vulnerable Sector Screening reference check to the satisfaction of the Vaughan Community Health Centre. Proof of full Covid-19
vaccination (1st and 2nd dose and booster) is required.
Please send your cover letter and resume to:
Social Worker/Therapist Hiring Committee
c/o Vaughan Community Health Centre
9401 Jane Street, Suite 206
Vaughan, Ontario L6A 4H7
Fax: (905) 303-9444
While applications are preferred via email, you are welcome to apply by fax, mail or in person.
Accommodations during the recruitment, selection, and interview processes will be provided in accordance with the Ontario Human Rights Code if needed. If you need accommodation during the hiring process, please call us at (905) 303-8490 ext.2631 to
provide your contact information and a member from the hiring Committee will contact you.
Vaughan Community Health Centre is an equal opportunity employer and encourages resumes from people who are reflective of the diverse communities we serve. We are committed to excellence and hire based on merit.
We thank all candidates in advance for their interest, however, only those selected for an interview will be contacted.