Red Lake Regional Heritage Centre
RED LAKE REGIONAL HERITAGE CENTRE
P.O. Box 64, 51A Highway 105, Red Lake, Ontario P0V 2M0
Program Coordinator Intern
The Red Lake Regional Heritage Centre is currently recruiting for the position of “Program Coordinator Intern”. This 52 week internship is funded under the Northern Ontario Heritage Fund Corporation, with the purpose of providing new cultural, history, heritage, and museum studies graduates with a skills building opportunity in Ontario’s north.
Tel: (807) 727-3006
E-mail: email@example.com Website: www.redlakemuseum.com
Red Lake is a small community nestled in the serene wilderness of Northwestern Ontario and as a result it has the hospitality and friendliness of a small town. The region is famous for its hunting & fishing, beautiful provincial parks, and a colourful history of mining, aviation and art.
The position of Program Coordinator Intern will provide the successful candidate with the chance to gain experience in the museum field, building on the skills they have previously acquired. The intern will be provided the opportunity to plan, organize and execute programs for both children and adults. The programs will be target a variety of groups including school children, local community partners and Heritage Centre members, which will elevate the Heritage Centre as an educational institution.
The Program Coordinator Intern will also assist the Director in the day to day operation of the Heritage Centre. Duties will include work in the archives, exhibit spaces and the gift shop. It will also include facility maintenance, public events.
The successful candidate will complete a project related to the creation of a variety of programs throughout the year. Tasks include:
1) Review past and current programs. Create a report determining which reports are currently acceptable, those that need to be updated, and those that should be discarded. Submit the report to the director for review.
2) Conduct research on current educational standards and curriculum. Create a list of possible programs based on the curriculum.
3) Gather a list of the educators in the Red Lake area. Create an interview process including documentation, in order to identify what aspects of the curriculum would attract programming opportunities.
4) Interview a sample of teachers from each education facility (a minimum of one per facility and ten overall).
5) Create a report that examines the Heritage Centre’s current strengths and weaknesses in regards to programming. The report will also detail ideas for future programs that can help alleviate some of the weaknesses identified.
6) Create five programs, based on the report and run each program a minimum of one time.
7) Based on the review of past and current programs, create a proposal for ideas involving adult oriented programming.
8) Create five adult programs, based on the review and proposal and run each program a minimum of one time.
9) Review the current feedback form for programming. Identify any changes that would help encompass the experience of programs and help determine their success both quantitatively and qualitatively.
The ideal candidate would be a University or College graduate with a focus on museum studies. A combination of education and experience may also be considered. Museum-related volunteer experience would be an asset.
Required Professional Skills include:
- Demonstrated research and organizational skills, and orientation to detail
- Excellent written and oral communication skills
- Self-motivation and ability to work effectively alone or in a team
- Proven leadership skills
- Experience creating educational programs would be an asset
- Experience in running events would be an asset
- Experience using Microsoft Word, Outlook and Excel is required
- Familiarity with Adobe Photoshop, Illustrator, and Past Perfect would be an asset
Salary: $19.50/hour plus benefits
Hours: Monday to Friday, 9:00 a.m. until 5:00 p.m., occasional evenings and weekends (35 hours/week).
Application Deadline: March 1, 2018
Submit your application to: Trevor Osmond
Be sure to include ‘Program Coordinator Intern’ in the email subject line.