Reporting to the Director, Learning Support and Early Intervention Services, the Academic Skills Librarian provides energy and leadership in designing and delivering programs and services in response to student academic skills and learning strategies needs. Through their student-focused interactions with the Sheridan community, the Academic Skills Librarian actively develops, delivers and promotes these resources by applying an equity, diversity, and inclusion lens to ensure universal access to all students. The work of the Academic Skills Librarian is in support of Strategic Enrollment Management (SEM) as it relates to student persistence and institutional retention.
What You’ll be Doing
• Developing and delivering resources and tools with a universal design for learning approach to support academic literacies; academic literacies include skills related to time management, note-taking, group work, mind-set, resilience, studying and test taking, information literacy and more;
• Employing data visualization and management software to identify student academic needs, effectiveness of academic supports and barriers to student success;
• Working closely with the Tutoring Centres to understand student academic support needs and to inform the development and delivery of institution-wide student academic resources and tools as it relates to student persistence and institutional retention;
• Working with college partners including Liaison Librarians, the Academic Integrity Facilitator, Student Affairs and the Centre for Teaching and Learning to respond to student academic support requests and ensuring supports integrate the values of equity, diversity and inclusion;
• Engaging in institutional student demographics data and conducting on-going research related to the student experience and widening participation. Using this information for regular and on-going assessment of resources; informing partnerships including the Liaison Librarian team; developing and targeting supports for specific student demographics and unique student needs. Demographics may include BIPOC, mature, dual-credit, international, apprentice, first-generation, part-time students;
• Creating a communication plan that promotes outreach through different venues (e.g. emerging technology, institutional communication channels) in order to encourage student engagement and build partnerships;
• Collaborating with faculty members through early-alert initiatives to align resources with course needs;
• Chairing the LLS Academic Skills working group to engage in and support the development of academic resources for students and share research on the student experience and student demographics; utilizing meetings to share best practices and informing Integrated Learning Services (ILS) events, initiatives and communication;
• Assisting with program reviews by sharing academic support resources and programming in place;
• When required, providing input in the selection of new resources based on analysis, need and suitability;
• Working in a team environment with a focus on continuously enhancing the student experience;
• Providing back-up liaison librarian instruction when needed.
Your collaborative spirit is balanced with your ability to take initiative and act independently.
Your respect for equity, diversity and inclusion, as it relates to the student academic experience, informs your way of knowing, practicing and supporting the Sheridan community.
You share an agile mindset with our students and have a knack for thinking critically about different processes to deliver projects in innovative ways.
You enjoy balancing many different tasks, staying organized and like to develop processes or systems to keep things running smoothly.
You have strong oral and written communication and proven effectiveness as an instructor in both online and in-person settings, while embracing universal design for learning.
The successful candidate will also meet the following qualifications:
• Master’s degree in Library Science or Information Studies
• Two years of professional experience as a Librarian
• Demonstrated experience working with undergraduate students in a post-secondary institution
• Experience developing and delivering academic skills support
Who We Are:
At Sheridan, Integrated Learning Services is passionate about the impact we make in our community. We are integrated with departments across the institution and value our partnerships, relationships and ability to make a difference. We are the living room of Sheridan; our students and faculty gather in our spaces to connect, create and innovate, but also to find a quiet place to study, reflect and access tools and resources. Our staff are dedicated and caring, invested in emerging technologies and new ways of teaching and learning.
Sheridan is building a new, ground-breaking model of higher education, one that prepares graduates with the essential skills to navigate change in a complex world. As a member of the Sheridan community, you will have the opportunity to shape our teaching and learning experience and help prepare the future leaders of tomorrow.
For more information, visit: Why Work at Sheridan
Consideration will be given to qualified internal full-time academic and partial-load employees first in accordance with the Collective Agreement requirements.
Sheridan is deeply committed to promoting diversity, advancing equity and fostering a culture of inclusion. Therefore, we invite applications from marginalized and equity-seeking groups. Persons with a disability may contact the Human Resources department to request accommodation at any stage of the recruitment process.
You may be asked to provide copies of your educational credentials at the time of interview. Upon hire, we require official confirmation of educational credentials and Canadian equivalency assessments, if applicable.
Faculty/Department: Library Learning Services
Campus Location: HMC (May be assigned activities at any Sheridan campus once normal campus operations resume. Current operations are being delivered virtually).
Reference #: 20/F/22
Employee Group: Academic
Salary Range: $65,250 – $113,115 (based on relevant educational qualifications and experience)
Contact email@example.com for additional details.