Archival Assistant I
Requisition ID: 6443
The City of Vancouver is striving to become the greenest city in the world by 2020 and we are proud to be one of BC’s Top Employers, Canada’s Best Diversity Employers, and one of Canada’s Greenest Employers. With employees that have helped Vancouver consistently rank as one of the world’s most livable cities, the City values a diverse workforce which represents the vibrant community we so proudly serve.
Consider joining our committed team of staff and being part of an innovative, inclusive and rewarding workplace.
Main Purpose and Function:
The City of Vancouver Archives, a unit within the City Clerk’s Department, has a temporary one-year vacancy for an Archival Assistant. Reporting to the City Archivist, this position is responsible for para-professional activities related to the data standardization and general inventory components of a multi-year holdings inventory and rehousing project.
Specific Duties and Responsibilities:
Specific duties, conducted under the supervision of professional archivists or conservators, as appropriate, include: consolidating existing legacy archival metadata, often in analogue or spreadsheet form, into the Archives’ holdings management database; reviewing data while entering to identify inconsistencies and/or duplication; performing quality assurance review of data after upload to database; assigning locations to Archives containers that do not have locations; physical container-by-container inventory of the holdings; assistance with accessioning, arranging and describing archival material within scope of the inventory process and according to archival standards; basic housing and re-housing of holdings, and barcoding of containers.
The position works independently and in project teams with archivists and conservators.
- Completion of Grade 12 supplemented by post-secondary courses in archival studies or equivalent combination of training and experience
- Sound knowledge of conservation and handling issues for archival material in various formats
- Sound knowledge of procedures and terminology related to archival arrangement and description; familiarity with archival descriptive standards is an asset
- Proficiency in office systems software, including word processing and spreadsheet applications and end-user databases
- Excellent interpersonal, written and oral communication and time management skills
- Demonstrated ability to work both independently and as a member of a team, and to balance independent work with teamwork and cooperation
- Sound analytical and problem-solving skills
- Ability to lift items up to 40 lbs from shelves up to 7.5 feet high
- Excellent attendance and punctuality
Business Unit/Department: City Clerk’s Office (1060)
Affiliation: CUPE 15 Non Pks
Employment Type: Temporary Full Time
Position Start Date: February 2018
Position End Date: February 2019
Salary Information: Pay Grade GR-015: $24.81 to $29.16 per hour
Application Close: January 19, 2018
We thank all applicants for their interest. However, only those selected for an interview will be contacted. Learn more about our commitment to diversity and inclusion.