Requisition ID: 6444
The City of Vancouver is striving to become the greenest city in the world by 2020 and we are proud to be one of BC’s Top Employers, Canada’s Best Diversity Employers, and one of Canada’s Greenest Employers. With employees that have helped Vancouver consistently rank as one of the world’s most livable cities, the City values a diverse workforce which represents the vibrant community we so proudly serve.
Consider joining our committed team of staff and being part of an innovative, inclusive and rewarding workplace.
Main Purpose & Function
The City of Vancouver Archives, a unit within the City Clerk’s Department, has two temporary one-year Archivist vacancies. Reporting to the City Archivist, these positions are responsible for professional activities related to the data standardization and general inventory components of a multi-year holdings inventory and rehousing project.
Specific Duties & Responsibilities
Specific duties include directing para-professional project staff, consolidating existing legacy descriptions, often in analogue or spreadsheet form, into the Archives’ holdings management database; oversight of location assignment for the significant portion of Archives containers that do not have locations; oversight of the physical container-by-container inventory of the holdings; appraisal, arrangement and description of records, where necessary; and basic housing and re-housing of holdings.
The position works independently and in project teams with archivists, archival assistants and conservators.
- Masters degree in archival studies or similar degree and considerable related experience working in archives, or an equivalent combination of training and experience.
- Sound knowledge of and recent, relevant experience applying the principles of archival arrangement and description, including the Rules for Archival Description and other archival standards and methods.
- Knowledge of relevant legislation that has an impact on management of archival records, including the Freedom of Information and Protection of Privacy Act [RSBC 1996, c. 165] and the Copyright Act [RSC 1985, c. C-42.
- Sound knowledge of preventive conservation and handling practices for archival material in various formats.
- Sound analytical and problem solving skills
- Effective interpersonal, oral communication, writing, and team skills are essential.
- Proficiency in office systems software, especially end-user databases, is required.
- Working knowledge of software for archives, records management and document management is an asset. Experience using AtoM software an asset.
- Ability to lift items up to 40 lbs from shelves up to 7.5 feet high.
Business Unit/Department: City Clerk’s Office (1060)
Affiliation: CUPE 15 Non Pks
Employment Type: Temporary Full Time
Position Start Date: March 2018
Position End Date: March 2019
Number of Positions: 2
Salary Information: Pay Grade GR-023: $34.29 to $40.48 per hour
Application Close: January 19, 2018
We thank all applicants for their interest. However, only those selected for an interview will be contacted. Learn more about our commitment to diversity and inclusion.