Archivist, Whole School
Employment Terms: P/T, 80%
Start Date: October 2023
APPLY HERE: 2023-2024 Archivist-Ext (myschoolapp.com)
With a commitment to equity and fairness, students learn that what makes us different as individuals makes us
stronger as a community. A rigorous academic program is supported by accomplished faculty, exceptional
co-curricular programming, and state-of-the-art facilities. The UCC experience is underpinned by five core values:
learning, pluralism, service, community, and wellbeing. Among its strategic goals is UCC’s ambition to become
more diverse and inclusive. This is supported by a recognition that no learning community is whole without the
inclusion and amplification of multiple voices; UCC is committed to fostering belonging, striving for justice and
peace among all people, and addressing systemic and structural forms of oppression.
With UCC celebrating its bicentennial in 2029, the College archivist has a vital role to play in the preservation and
celebration of history and heritage, serving as an integral member of the advancement team by supporting and
informing communications, outreach, and community engagement relations relative to this momentous occasion.
The part-time archivist is responsible for the administration and management of the UCC archives in addition to
interpreting and communicating the College’s heritage. This includes building the University’s archival collection of
paper, electronic and artifactual materials, and preserving, managing and promoting the collection, and serving as
the primary point of contact for interest in the history of the College from students, faculty/staff and Old
Duties and Responsibilities:
Records and artifacts
● Acquiring, arranging, describing and preserving records and artifacts that document the teaching,
administration and heritage of the College
● Identification and transfer of the College’s corporate and non-corporate records of archival value to the
● Providing adequate and appropriate conditions for the storage, protection, and maintenance of the records
● Display planning and implementation
● Develops and manages a digital-born archival plan
Heritage and curating
● Promoting the heritage of the College.
● Curating the College’s decorative, fine art and artifact collections, and developing new displays that
integrate historical and contemporary information and artifacts, including the display cases in the Bernick
Family Foyer of the Upper School
● Planning future developments with regard to the archives and UCC heritage.
● Supporting the College and individual departments in achieving the mission statement.
● Constructs basic electronic portals working with HTML-based content management systems.
● Works with the Online Librarians to provide student reference and faculty services.
● Providing access and reference services.
● Providing opportunities to support the College’s educational curriculum.
● Developing and carrying out policies and procedures with regard to collections management, acquisitions,
deaccessioning, preservation, conservation, use, and disaster management in accordance with current
● Budget planning and management of archive related costs
● Coordinating, training, and supervising volunteers.
● Works collaboratively with alumni and various school departments.
Knowledge, Competencies and Experience:
● Professional archival skills with an emphasis on electronic formats and digitization;
● Experience cataloguing and organizing a collection of different media types;
● Familiarity with current online searching methods and emerging Web-based application;.
● Web skills and familiarity with digitization as well as their experience with traditional archival and library
● University degree/diploma in archives, library science, or other related disciplines;
● Excellent display, organizational and communication skills;
● Experience in university or non-profit record-keeping preferred;
● Proven ability to incorporate the Archives into school curricula;
● Demonstrated commitment to valuing diversity and contributing to an inclusive working and learning
● Proficiency in Google Suite and Microsoft Office;
● Ability to conduct data analysis to inform nuanced decision-making in a competitive admission environment;
● Ability to interpret information from a variety of sources;
● Ability to apply processes and policies as well as identify and propose improvements to processes and
● Ability to interact with alumni, students and faculty in a professional and timely manner through electronic
● Self-starting entrepreneurial mindset that requires minimum supervision.
If you have the majority of the qualifications we’re looking for, we encourage you to express your interest by
submitting your application.
What we Offer:
● Opportunities for professional development to support life-long learning of skills and knowledge;
● Floating holidays that recognizes our employees diverse religious and cultural practices; offers three paid
floating holidays per year instead of three statutory public holidays of their choosing.
● Excellent mental health, medical and dental benefit plans (including Health Care and Lifestyle Spending
Accounts, Employee Assistance programme and onsite wellbeing programming;
● Paid volunteer time off to become involved in you’re communities, lending voluntary support to programs
● Ongoing community events and employee social events throughout the academic year;
● Fabulous collaborative team members and colleagues;
● Generous pension / retirement plan and paid time off plans: vacation / holidays, personal emergency leave,
personal leave, parental leave top-up and flexible self-funded leaves;
● Free on campus parking;
● Opportunity for casual dress days.
UCC is an Equal Opportunity Employer and values diversity, encouraging applications from all qualified individuals
and welcoming applications from women, visible minorities, Aboriginal peoples, persons with disabilities, and
LGBTQ persons. UCC embraces pluralism – celebrating differences, cherishing similarities, and giving voice to
multiple perspectives. If you are contacted regarding a UCC opportunity, please advise if you require any
Please apply online by creating a “Professional/Management” profile account by Thursday September 28 2023.
We thank all candidates in advance; however, we will contact only those selected for an interview.