External Job Posting, Pickering Public Library
Are you passionate about children, literacy, and customer service?
Do you enjoy sharing information and helping members of the community alongside a great team of
dedicated employees? Then Pickering Public Library is the career choice for you!
Pickering Public Library has a part-time permanent opening for a reliable and hardworking Community
Library Worker – Children’s focus, a.k.a. Information Services Technician. This position reports to
the Manager of Branches and primarily supports children’s services by providing proactive customer
service, delivering programs, as well as sharing and promoting information and advisory services.
Candidates must have strong technology proficiency and outstanding customer service skills. This
role will perform circulation activities as needed. The ideal candidate will have demonstrated
experience delivering Children’s programming, including STEM programs, current understanding of
children’s literacy needs and trends, a passion for learning and technology, experience as an
enthusiastic community advocate, along with strong customer service, facilitation, problem-solving,
and teamwork skills. Applicants work varied shifts (days, evenings, and weekends). This position is
based out of George Ashe branch including service to the Northern branch in Claremont (access to a
vehicle is required for this role).
Salary: $25.90 per hour Hours: 20 hours per week
The successful applicant :
• Advises and assists library clients in the selection and use of Pickering Public Library’s
collections and services.
• Prepares and conducts story times and other programs under the direction of senior staff.
• Conducts library tours and class visits.
• Performs circulation duties as assigned.
• Assists with collection maintenance, for example weeding collections.
• Stays current with developments and emerging trends within the field and the community as it
applies to enhancement of services in support of the library as a learning organization.
• Demonstrates and maintains the required level of technical proficiency.
• May provide instructions to pages and supervise their tasks.
• Prepares statistics and reports as required.
• Other duties consistent with job responsibilities
Applicants must have:
• College Diploma or an equivalent combination of education and experience
• 9 months related experience
• Necessary job competencies: accountability, client focus, communications, flexibility,
problem-solving & decision-making, teamwork & relationship building.
Candidates will be scheduled to work varying shifts including days, evenings, and weekends at any
location within the library system.
Pickering Public Library is a competency-based workplace. The Library seeks applicants with
specific aptitudes (see the attached list of competencies and visit us online at
We thank all applicants for their interest. Please note that only candidates selected for an
interview will be contacted. Successful applicants must be prepared to undergo a satisfactory
Criminal Records Check (CPIC vulnerable sector search) as a condition of employment.
Please quote Job ID #E-17 and email resumes to Sarah Lombard in HR:
In your cover letter, please detail your strengths and work experience.
Closing date for applications: December 22 at 1 p.m.
Planned starting date: January 2018
Meets commitments and deadlines. Performs work in accordance with safety and security requirements
• Completes assignments and work commitments on time.
• Delivers quality work with limited errors
• Acknowledges errors or mistakes and takes ownership over corrections
• Maintains acceptable attendance
• Reports any potential health & safety or security concerns.
• Participates in required safety training.
Responds to client needs and internal requests.
• Considers the client’s needs when completing work, making suggestions and providing service
that typically results in client satisfaction
• Always displays professionalism, respect and dignity in daily interactions
• Follows through on commitments and responds to inquiries, emails, requests and complaints in a
• Provides a level of service and assistance that is consistent with organizational guidelines
Effectively listens and communicates. Clearly communicates concerns and responds to conflict
• Verbally communicates information with clarity
• Uses active listening and concentration in order to increase understanding
• Writes with clarity and purpose, structures written documents in a logical order, ensures
spelling and grammar are appropriate
• Is polite and professional in both verbal and written communication.
• Handles conflict by having an open discussion with the individual(s) involved.
• Clearly communicates ideas and concerns by stating point of view while being open to hearing
Responds positively to changing needs and conditions
• Understands that change happens and keeps an open mind to new initiatives
• Is flexible to altering normal working conditions in order to get a job done (i.e. assisting a
co-worker, takes assignments outside of regular job duties)
• Recognizes the value of different opinions, approaches and perspectives
• Remains positive during times of uncertainty
Problem Solving & Decision Making
Recognizes and identifies issues and offers solutions and/or makes decisions that fall within the
position’s responsibilities and involves others as required
• Asks questions and looks for answers to issues.
• Identifies issues, makes appropriate decisions for the position and offers basic solutions
based on available resources
• Attempts to resolve issues that fall within their scope and accountability
• Involves or refers the issue or decision making to the right person or authority to have the
• Makes suggestions at team meetings and to manager on potential/ known issues and possible
Teamwork & Relationship Building
Maintains positive productive working relationships, participates in team or group activities and
helps team members.
• Develops and maintains work relationships that are required in order to achieve regular tasks
• Easily establishes rapport, and communicates openly and effectively
• Is tactful and diplomatic with the ability to remain calm and composed in difficult situations
• Practices active listening and has solid understanding of others.
• Participates in team building and works toward achieving team objectives.
• Meets deadlines and commitments set by the team.
Pickering Public Library is an equal opportunity employer The Library encourages and welcomes
applications from our diverse population including qualified aboriginal Canadians, persons with
disabilities, members of visible minorities, and women. If you require accessibility accommodation,
please contact HR. To access further information about Accessibility at
Pickering Public Library please visit www.picnet.org
Pickering Public Library | External Job Posting