Community Support Librarian, Portage la Prairie Regional Library
The Portage la Prairie Regional Library is seeking applications for a permanent, full-time Community Support Librarian to join the staff.
The Portage la Prairie Regional Library serves as the sole library branch for both the city of Portage la Prairie (population 13,304) and the rural municipality of Portage la Prairie (population 6, 975). The library is located within the city, which is less than an hour drive on the TransCanada Highway west of Winnipeg.
As the Community Support Librarian, the successful applicant’s duties will focus primarily on the effective and professional development of library programming, reference services, and community outreach. This position requires a great deal of forethought, personal initiative, and a dedication to providing exemplary service to those who most need it.
Duties and Responsibilities:
- Create and run programming, with focus on children and teen programming
- Provide and develop reference services for library patrons
- Establish strong connections with community organizations in Portage la Prairie and the rural municipality
- Oversee and co-ordinate the library’s social media presence
- Conduct grant writing for programming and other library initiatives
- Assist in providing in-house ILS and I.T. support
- Assist the Head Librarian in the acquisition of children and teen library materials
- Assist library staff with cataloguing item records
- Scheduled front desk shifts as needed
- Other duties as required
- Possession of a Library Technician diploma, or an equivalent post-secondary degree in a relevant field of work
- Minimum of 3 years experience working in public libraries, or in an equivalent work setting
- Thorough understanding of the use of ILS in a library setting (experience with Evergreen will be considered a significant asset)
- Strong understanding of basic financial accountability
- Excellent oral and written communication skills
- Valid Class 5 driver’s license and access to a personal vehicle
- Ability to lift and carry up to 40lbs
A criminal record and vulnerable person’s check will be required of the successful candidate, and a child abuse registry check may be required as well. The Portage la Prairie Regional Library is an equal opportunity employer, and is willing to provide reasonable workplace accommodations if the successful candidate should require any.
Only individuals considered for interviews will be contacted. The position vacancy will remain open until a successful candidate is selected.
Head Librarian, Portage la Prairie Regional Library
40-B Royal Road N
Portage la Prairie, MB