Keeping Ontario’s Legislative Assembly running smoothly takes many talented people, doing many different jobs—from camera operators and committee clerks, to purchasing officers and researchers. The Office of the Assembly is dedicated to serving Ontario’s Parliament.
Together, we provide non-partisan administrative and procedural services to all MPPs, as well as operational support for the daily activities of the Legislative Assembly of Ontario. Our success is determined by the strength and diversity of our staff and by supporting our core values: integrity, inclusiveness, collaboration and excellence.
Director, Legislative Library
The Legislative Assembly of Ontario seeks a Director, Legislative Library who, as a part of our Legislative Library Branch, in Toronto, ON will be responsible for leading the team that provides reference and information services to the Legislature and its committees. The work of the Library involves responding directly to requests from MPPs and their staff, and providing news packages, backgrounders and publications.
What You’ll Do
You’ll act with integrity to:
• Provide leadership and directly manages a team of professional librarians and news and circulation technicians within the Legislative Library Branch.
• Deliver innovative and modern services, products and publications.
• Provide expertise and leadership in the planning, management and control of the Assembly’s library resources and delivery of client services and oversees all aspects of the quality, accuracy, and timely delivery of these services according to Assembly requirements.
• Exercise the utmost sensitivity, tact, and good judgment in a fast-paced environment when dealing with MPPs and staff of the Legislative Assembly.
You’ll support our collaboration as you:
• Build upon existing strong relations with MPPs, their staff and Assembly staff.
• Work closely with the Legislative Research and Content Management teams to provide comprehensive, accurate, current, unbiased information and facts from a wide range of sources.
• Foster a culture of continuous improvement and innovation within the Legislative Library
How You Qualify
You demonstrate excellence through your:
• Successful completion of a Master’s degree in Library and Information Science from an ALA-Accredited program; more than seven (7) years of related experience in the direction or management of professional services team of subject specialists.
• Applicants with an equivalent combination of education and experience may be considered.
• Strong leadership skills in managing groups of professionals and technical staff, leading by example, and providing support, guidance and resourcefulness.
• Appreciation of the requirements of excellent client service.
• Ability to manage and set priorities in a demanding and busy environment.
• Open, honest and transparent communication style.
• Knowledge and experience in providing reference, circulation and news services.
• Familiarity with budgetary planning and management.
If you join our team, you can expect:
• A comprehensive benefit and pension package
• A dynamic work environment
• To work with a team of dedicated professionals
• To be encouraged and supported to grow your career through training and development
Salary Range: $130,930 to $171,620 per annum
File No.: LA-2020-50
Closing Date: September 28, 2020
If you share our values and are interested in this position, please visit us at www.ola.org and select Careers for more details.
The Legislative Assembly of Ontario embraces diversity and as an equal opportunity employer is committed to creating an inclusive workplace while establishing a diversified qualified workforce. If you require accommodation in order to participate in the recruitment process, please email your contact information to firstname.lastname@example.org for follow-up.
While we appreciate your interest in obtaining employment with the Legislative Assembly of Ontario, only those selected for an interview will be contacted.