Red Lake Regional Heritage Centre
RED LAKE REGIONAL HERITAGE CENTRE
P.O. Box 64, 51A Highway 105, Red Lake, Ontario P0V 2M0
The Red Lake Regional Heritage Centre is currently recruiting for the position of “Exhibit Intern”. This 52 week internship is funded under the Northern Ontario Heritage Fund Corporation, with the purpose of providing new cultural, history, heritage, and museum studies graduates with a skills building opportunity in Ontario’s north.
Tel: (807) 727-3006
E-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org Website: www.redlakemuseum.com
Red Lake is a small community nestled in the serene wilderness of Northwestern Ontario and as a result it has the hospitality and friendliness of a small town. The region is famous for its hunting & fishing, beautiful provincial parks, and a colourful history of mining, aviation and art.
The position of Exhibit Intern will provide the successful candidate with the chance to gain experience in the museum field, building on the skills they have previously acquired. The intern will be provided the opportunity to plan, organize and construct the Heritage Centre’s upcoming summer exhibit and contribute to a variety of other planned exhibits.
Using the Heritage Centre’s exhibit manual the successful candidate will be responsible for ensuring that tasks are completed according the proper specifications and according to schedule. The Exhibit Intern will also assist the Curator, under the supervision of the Director, in the day to day operation of the Heritage Centre. Duties will include work in the archives, collections, exhibit spaces, facility maintenance, and the gift shop.
The successful candidate will complete a project related to the creation of the Heritage Centre’s summer exhibit. Tasks include:
1) Review the exhibit manual ‘Beneath It All’ and with the help of the Curator, create a timeline detailing each task.
2) Review the interviews conducted for the exhibit. Using the exhibit manual, determine which interviews still need to be conducted. Create a list of candidates who could represent aspects still missing from the current interviews.
3) Working with the Director and Curator, begin the design of the interpretive panels using Adobe Photoshop and Illustrator.
4) Using the research provided in the exhibit manual begin writing text for each panel. Submit the text to the Curator for review.
5) Locate all the objects identified in the exhibit manual. With the help of the curator collect the artifacts and ready them for the exhibit, including ensuring they are clean and properly labeled. All relevant information should be added to PastPerfect.
6) Using the exhibit manual and working with volunteers & MNDM, create the underground development 3D interactive model.
7) Working with the Director the intern will create the content for the video components, including editing digital video and creating an interactive display.
8) Working with the Curator, create the content that will be added to the Heritage Centre’s online component of the exhibit.
This position may also include other curatorial work such as moving artifacts, processing artifact loans, updating database records, and other duties as assigned.
The ideal candidate would be a University or College graduate with a focus on museum studies. A combination of education and experience may also be considered. Museum-related volunteer experience would be an asset.
Required Professional Skills include:
- Demonstrated research and organizational skills, and orientation to detail
- Excellent written and oral communication skills
- Self-motivation and ability to work effectively alone or in a team
- Proven leadership skills
- Experience creating mounts would be an asset
- Experience in video editing, interviewing and photography would be an asset
- Experience using Microsoft Word, Outlook and Excel is required
- Familiarity with Adobe Photoshop, Illustrator, and Past Perfect would be an asset
Salary: $19.50/hour plus benefits
Hours: Monday to Friday, 9:00 a.m. until 5:00 p.m., occasional evenings and weekends (35 hours/week).
Application Deadline: February 23, 2018
Submit your application to:
Be sure to include ‘Exhibit Intern’ in the email subject line.