The Bayfield Historical Society (BHS) is dedicated to collecting, preserving and making accessible our historical legacy. We are looking to hire a student assistant for July 1 to August 31, 2020 (35 hours per week). The candidate must be between 18 and 30 years of age to qualify for this position, made possible through Employment and Social Development Canada. The job entails engaging with the public as well as working on one’s own on a scanning and data entry project.
Job Description and Duties/Responsibilities
The position is for 35 hours per week, Wednesday to Sunday; $15 per hour. Reporting to members of the BHS board, the main duties include:
– Greeting Heritage Centre visitors, ensuring COVID-19 public health guidelines (Phase 2) are met; answering questions about the archives/Bayfield’s history; selling books/notecards; opening and locking up the Heritage Centre.
– Renting quadricycles (just outside Heritage Centre, a fundraising activity of the BHS) to the public; ensuring users follow safety guidelines; sanitizing after use according to public health guidelines.
– Digitizing photographs and recording relevant data and metadata in cataloguing software (PastPerfect), under the direction of the volunteer Archivist & Assistant Archivist.
– Experience working in a museum/heritage site setting is preferred. Ideally, the candidate will be enrolled in an archives, museum studies, or public history program.
– Superior communication skills. Comfortable greeting the public in a welcoming, professional manner.
– Demonstrated experience handling cash.
– Familiarity with and interest in the history of Bayfield, Huron County, and area.
– Excellent organization and attention to detail; strong proofreading skills.
– Well-developed computer skills; highly accurate data entry.
– Able to work independently and with volunteers and cataloguing assistant.
– Experience digitizing photographs would be an asset.
Please email cover letter and resumé by June 22 to email@example.com, using the subject line Summer Assistant followed by your full name. Those shortlisted will be contacted to set up an interview conducted via Zoom.