POSITION: Instruction & Liaison Librarian (Librarian I or II)
DEPARTMENT: Dentistry Library, University of Toronto Libraries
DATE REQUIRED: May 1, 2019
Are you looking for challenging, meaningful work in a supportive and diverse environment? Are you looking for a career at one of Canada’s top employers? Work where the world comes to think, discover and learn. Consider a career at the University of Toronto.
About the University of Toronto Libraries
The University of Toronto Libraries (UTL) system is the largest academic library in Canada and is ranked sixth among peer institutions in North America. The system consists of 42 libraries located on three university campuses: St. George, Mississauga, and Scarborough. This array of college libraries, special collections, and specialized libraries and information centres supports the teaching and research requirements of over 280 graduate programs, including over 60 professional programs, and about 700 undergraduate degree programs. In addition to more than 15 million volumes in 341 languages, the library system currently provides access to millions of resources in various forms, including, for example, electronic, audio-visual, and geospatial materials. UTL also has over 31,000 linear metres of archival material. More than 150,000 new print volumes are acquired each year. The Libraries’ data centre houses more than 500 servers with a storage capacity of 1.5 petabytes.
The University of Toronto Libraries (UTL) seeks a creative, team-oriented and forward-thinking Instruction and Liaison Librarian to join the Dentistry Library, the only dedicated academic dentistry library in Canada. The library supports the teaching, learning, and research of the largest Faculty of Dentistry in Canada. This is a one-year contractually limited term appointment to replace a maternity leave. The successful candidate will report to the Head of the Dentistry Library and will work collaboratively with a team of Dentistry Library staff, colleagues across UTL and the faculty, students, and staff of the Faculty of Dentistry.
The successful candidate will:
- Work with faculty to provide curriculum-embedded instruction in dentistry undergraduate and graduate courses
- Provide open workshops on a variety of topics related to library resources and the research process
- Participate in shared public service responsibilities, including conducting in-depth reference and research consultations with students and faculty
- Maintain the Dentistry library website using Drupal and other e-resources such as LibGuides
- Work collaboratively with the Head Librarian to identify opportunities for outreach and marketing of library services, resources and events through the library website, social media, digital and physical signage, listservs, etc.
- Oversee the operations of the Dentistry Library in the absence of the Head Librarian
- Serve on library and faculty committees and working groups as necessary
- Keep abreast of trends in higher education and librarianship through library sponsored events and self-directed learning
- Be involved in other related library activities such as collection development , or interlibrary loans, or special projects as needed
- A degree from an accredited Master’s level program in library and information studies
- Ability to work effectively both independently and as a team member
- Demonstrated research skills and knowledge of key databases and information sources in the Health Sciences and/or other STEM disciplines
- Knowledge of instructional design, research methodologies, and expert searching
- Proven commitment to service
- Outstanding interpersonal, organizational, presentation, and communication skills
- Demonstrated flexibility, creativity and ability to innovate and adapt in a changing environment
- Strong initiative and ability to manage multiple tasks and priorities effectively
- Excellent analytical and problem-solving skills
- Demonstrated commitment to innovation and continuous learning
- Relevant professional experience in a health science library
- Experience in a supervisory position in a unionized environment
Salary and Terms of Appointment
This is a one (1) year contractually limited term appointment to be hired at the Librarian I or II rank. Rank and salary will be commensurate with experience and academic/professional qualifications.
NOTE: Librarians at the University of Toronto are members of the University of Toronto Faculty Association.
Application Materials Required: A cover letter, curriculum vitae, and contact information for three references of which at least two have supervised your work. Please send a single electronic file (MS Word or pdf) with a file name convention of [Surname, FirstName.DENTISTRY] to Library Human Resources at firstname.lastname@example.org; or to Room 1140, 130 St. George Street, University of Toronto Libraries, Toronto, Ontario M5S 1A5; or by fax to (416) 946-5543 by February 10, 2019.
The University of Toronto is strongly committed to diversity within its community and especially welcomes applications from racialized persons / persons of colour, women, Indigenous / Aboriginal People of North America, persons with disabilities, LGBTQ persons, and others who may contribute to the further diversification of ideas.
All qualified candidates are encouraged to apply; however, Canadians and permanent residents will be given priority.
The University strives to be an equitable and inclusive community, and proactively seeks to increase diversity among its community members. Our values regarding equity and diversity are linked with our unwavering commitment to excellence in the pursuit of our academic mission. The University is committed to the principles of the Accessibility for Ontarians with Disabilities Act (AODA). As such, we strive to make our recruitment, assessment and selection processes as accessible as possible and provide accommodations as required for applicants with disabilities. If you require any accommodations at any point during the application and hiring process, please contact email@example.com
The University of Toronto Libraries thanks all applicants but will only contact applicants selected for an interview.
University of Toronto Library System: https://onesearch.library.utoronto.ca/
University of Toronto: http://www.hrandequity.utoronto.ca/
Policies for Librarians: http://policies.hrandequity.utoronto.ca/#FacultyLibrarians