Job Title: Liaison Librarian, Life Sciences & Community Services Programs – Repost
Competition #: 20-102
Dept. / Campus: Library Services/ Doon Campus
Posting Date: July 17, 2020
Closing Date: August 2, 2020
Vacancy Type: Academic Full-time New Position
As the COVID-19 pandemic evolves around the world and in our local community, Conestoga College continues to adjust plans based on the guidance provided by our local Public Health authority. Considering these unprecedented circumstances, final hiring decisions remain contingent upon confirmed enrolment numbers and the evolving work environment. Conestoga College will take appropriate measures to protect the safety and well-being of our College community and prospective candidates throughout the recruitment and selection process, including the scheduling of remote interviews.
Conestoga College is a leader in polytechnic education. Our career-focused education, training, and applied research programs prepare students for success, support industry, and workforce needs, and promote economic prosperity throughout our region and across Ontario.
As a preferred employer, Conestoga is committed to supporting the development and well-being of our employees through competitive salaries, a comprehensive benefits package, and ongoing professional and personal learning opportunities that result in enhanced skills, shared successes, and an engaged college community.
We are currently seeking a qualified professional librarian to join the Library Services team to support the Life Sciences & Community Services programs.
Under the direction of the Director, Library Services, the Liaison Librarian, Life Sciences & Community Services, builds relationships with faculty and staff to develop supports in curriculum, including those related to research, academic integrity, digital skills, and more. Promoting the value of Information Literacy to faculty and students, the Librarian acts proactively, seeking opportunities for support, and develops solutions in collaboration with academic areas and library colleagues.
• Promotes the value of information literacy and IL services by developing and maintaining collaborative partnerships within the School of Health & Life Sciences and School of Community Services
• Uses best practices and instructional plans; develops, delivers, and assesses instructional sessions with measurable learning outcomes
• Provides guidance to Library Technologists supporting instructional work
• Develops instructional support materials both in print and online; these may include online tutorials, research/resource guides, quizzes, supplemental handouts
• Creates other digital tools or assets as needed
• Assists faculty with the location of relevant support materials for integration into course curriculum, including materials within and beyond the library’s collections (e.g. Open Educational Resources)
• Guides the development of curriculum-supporting collections in all formats and types, both in print and online, with the aim to develop a timely, relevant and accessible collection
• Liaises with faculty to solicit collaboration on collection development and recommends resources for faculty review. Investigates faculty collections requests
• Selects print and online resources to add to the library’s collections. Focuses collections activities based on demonstrated curricular requirements (e.g. through faculty collaboration and review of learning outcomes in course outlines)
• Maintains patron driven acquisition profiles and slip profiles.
• Develops retention policies, updating and removing materials as appropriate, based on review of usage, coverage and other data
• Accurately tracks overall budget expenditure for funds under their areas of responsibility
• Reviews and makes recommendations on periodical and e-resource subscriptions for their program areas and investigates new e-resource collections
• Provides personalized research support primarily in the form of one-on-one research consultations in person and virtually, guiding users in the inquiry and research process
• Leads all research requests submitted by faculty and provides guidance to all full and part-time library support staff on research related to their areas of responsibility
• Provides periodic blended service at the public service desk and in the form of virtual reference support
• Engages in the review/accreditation process by attending related meetings and liaising with faculty involved in the review committee to gather feedback and make recommendations for further support
• As required, leads functions within the library or develops initiatives related to one or more of several emerging and underserved service areas
• Contributes information and advice on the development of services and policies through consultation and participation on steering committees and working groups
• Master’s Degree in Library Science or Information Studies is required
• Minimum three years of professional library experience with demonstrated experience in the delivery of information literacy and reference services is required
• A university degree from within the discipline of Health Sciences or relevant expertise in health science librarianship is considered an asset
• Current knowledge of information technologies and their application within libraries
• Working knowledge of health sciences information resources
• Knowledge of trends and issues in academic libraries and higher education
• Experience with curriculum development is an asset
• Knowledge and experience of computer systems (e.g. Microsoft Office Suite) and educational technologies (e.g. D2L) is preferred
• Demonstrated exceptional presentation, communication, organizational, and interpersonal skills
• Demonstrated ability to relate to learners and providing a positive learning environment to students working at different skill levels including international students and students requiring accommodation
• Strong commitment to academic excellence, student success, and ability to support Conestoga’s continuous quality improvement initiatives
Please apply with your cover letter and resume saved together in one file at https://employment.conestogac.on.ca/.