Halton Hills Public Library
Library Associate – Community and Adult Services
One (1) permanent part-time position
The Town of Halton Hills, located 45 minutes from Toronto, is a unique and vibrant community with over 61,000 people and two well-established Library Branches. HHPL welcomes more than 250,000 visitors annually and more than 260,000 website visitors. We empower our patrons to learn, read, create, innovate and experience at our Library. We strive to remove barriers and to foster an atmosphere of learning, support, understanding and inclusion. We employ over 35 professionally-trained Library staff, who go above and beyond to provide stellar service to our patrons and deliver high-quality programs and relevant events. If this excites you, we’d love to continue the conversation.
This position requires an energetic and innovative individual with exceptional technical skills and a demonstrated ability to provide superior customer service. The position reports to the Community Librarian and is responsible for providing information assistance and instructions to Library patrons. This includes assisting with the catalogue, new technologies, social media, online databases, and providing readers advisory. The position also provides outreach services to the wider community and works closely with the Adult Services Librarian to design and deliver high quality programs for the community.
These responsibilities indicate the general nature and level of work expected. It is not designed to cover or contain a comprehensive listing of activities, duties or responsibilities required by the incumbent. The incumbent may be asked to perform other duties as required and as the nature of library services evolve.
- Plan, conduct and evaluate creative, cultural, dynamic, innovative and literacy-building programs for adults, seniors and youth as well as program on current technologies, social media, e-resources and desktop software
- Provide in depth information, technology and readers’ advisory services to the
- Instruct the public and staff in the use of technology for our Creativity Centre including audio, video and image hardware and software
- Instruct the public and staff in the use of new technologies and social media
- Work with community organizations to develop mutually beneficial programs and partnerships
- Represent the Library at outside events and to community organizations
- Maintain elements of the Library’s social media presence
- Direct and monitor Pages/Volunteers
- Act as the In-Charge Person
- Document, process and maintain designated collection
- Minimum education: Library Techniques diploma (2 years college) or equivalent which may include one of the following: Bachelor of Media Information & Technoculture; Bachelor of Media & Public Interest; Bachelor of Education with Library Additional Qualifications, or Master of Library Science
- Equivalent of two years’ experience working in a similar position
- Superb customer service skills
- Excellent attention to detail
- Well-developed skills in information service delivery
- Well-developed programming and presentation skills
- Strong knowledge of popular adult and teen non-fiction, fiction and audio-visual titles
- Familiarity with office software
- Knowledge of an integrated library system
- Able to accommodate a variable schedule
- Able to organize time efficiently
- Ability to interact pleasantly and courteously with the public and staff, and to promote a harmonious workplace
- Strong English written and oral communication skills.
- An undergraduate university degree an asset
- Additional training in Library techniques or related disciplines
- Previous experience with automated Library system (e.g. Sierra)
- Valid driver’s license
- Access to a vehicle
Hours: Approximately 21-28 hours per week.
Includes evenings and weekends in both Acton and Georgetown Branches
Salary: $31.13 per hour
Application Deadline: Wednesday, September 4, 2019 at 12:00 p.m.
Start Date: October 2019
Qualified candidates may submit a detailed cover letter and resume in confidence to the Library by 12:00 p.m., September 4, 2019. Those candidates offered an interview will be required to provide the names and contact information of three references at that time.
Please identify the title of the position that you are applying for in your cover letter and in the subject line of your email.
Please apply using only one method of application below.
Email: firstname.lastname@example.org (preferred)
Barb Elliott, Executive Assistant
Halton Hills Public Library
9 Church Street
RE: Library Associate – Community and Adult Services
We thank all those who apply, but advise that only those applicants selected for an interview will be contacted.
The Halton Hills Public Library is an equal opportunity employer. Accommodations are available for all parts of the recruitment process. If contacted for an interview, please advise the Library’s Administrative Assistant at 905-873-2681 Ext. 2523 of any measures you feel you need to enable you to be assessed in a fair and equitable manner. Information received relating to accommodation measures will be addressed confidentially.