Library Technician (Part-time)
|Faculty/Department: Library Services||Employee Group: Part-time|
|Campus: HMC or Trafalgar (May be assigned activities at any Sheridan campus)||Hourly Rate: $18.99|
|Reference Number: 18/PT/104 and 18/PT/105||Hours/Week: 6 – 24 hours per week. Includes evenings or weekend shifts|
|Application Deadline: November 30, 2018|
Under the direction of Manager, Integrated Library Services, the incumbent performs all circulation functions, using both manual and automated library systems. The incumbent will assist library users in the operation of the online library catalogue, and printers. The position provides quick reference and library use guidance, and participates in keeping the collection in order through shelf reading and shelving as required. Issues which are unresolved are referred to the full time staff in the appropriate area.
Specific Responsibilities Include:
- Performing circulation functions by charging and discharging materials, registering borrowers, collecting fines using SIRSI and manual system, booking videos;
- Shelving returned materials and shelf-reading/shelved collection when required;
- Providing reference service and guidance to the library users by interpreting their needs through a reference interview;
- Demonstrating the use of the Online Public Access Catalogue (OPAC) and library indexes to locate relevant information;
- Recommending appropriate electronic database(s) and guiding users in basic search strategy skills to achieve the best results;
- Performing library opening or closing procedures by turning on/off photocopiers, ensuring they are functional and filling paper trays, noting down the readings from the Security System, unlocking or locking the doors and other areas to be secured, etc.;
- Other duties as required.
The successful candidate will possess a two-year Library Technician Diploma as well as a minimum of 6 months of relevant work experience. The incumbent must have knowledge and understanding of automated library information systems and electronic information resources. Proficiency with Microsoft Office, strong oral communication skills, well-developed on-line search skills along with a strong customer/public service focus are required. Experience with Business resources is an asset for HMC. Incumbent must have the ability to work independently and as part of a team. Strong interpersonal skills are required.
Please apply online: CLOSED