POSTING #: 18-535EXT
POSTING DATE: October 4, 2018
CLOSING DATE: November 4, 2018
JOB TITLE: Senior Metadata Specialist LOCATION: Cataloguing – 1076
Collections and Membership Services
STATUS: Permanent Full Time
HOURS PER WEEK & SCHEDULE OF WORK:
35 hours per week.
Weeks 1 & 2:
Monday to Friday: 9:00 am – 5:00 pm
The Senior Metadata Specialist provides professional expertise and leadership in strategies to
develop, implement, coordinate and manage metadata standards and metadata for the organization.
▪ Leads in the development, implementation and maintenance of strategies for resource description
for TPL print and digital content both locally and on a Web scale.
▪ Maintains knowledge of national and international metadata standards and schema and is
responsible for interpreting and adapting those metadata schema for local purposes.
▪ Collaborates with appropriate staff to advise on the application of current and emerging metadata
schema to facilitate access to digital, and other online collections and resources.
▪ Monitors developments in the information industry and makes recommendations related to new
metadata or cataloguing tools, technologies or initiatives.
▪ Evaluates metadata standards to support the adoption, use and management of metadata strategies
and tools required to achieve the integrated access goals of the Library.
▪ Provides ongoing analysis of the Library’s taxonomic structures to facilitate future migrations
or enhancements; develops strategies for ensuring metadata schema integrity and monitors their
▪ Formulates, recommends, implements and maintains policies and standards for descriptive,
technical and administrative metadata.
▪ Trains staff and supports staff training in metadata.
▪ Serves as a resource person on metadata issues.
▪ Develops project plans, establishes project teams, monitors project schedules and ensures
deliverables are completed on time and to specification; prepares reports, as required.
▪ Directs project staff, establishes performance standards and provides verbal input into
▪ Participates in appropriate library committees, working groups and projects
▪ Graduate degree in Library or Information Science from an accredited institution or equivalent
▪ Five years’ experience working with recognized metadata schemas in a digital environment
▪ Extensive, demonstrated knowledge of non-MARC metadata and related web standards such as Dublin
Core, EAD, METS, MOD, OAI_PMH, RDF and xml
▪ Practical experience applying MARC and Non-MARC standards together to organize information for
search and discovery
▪ Strong understanding of traditional cataloguing standards and practices including MARC, RDA, LCSH
and authority control.
▪ Proven ability to plan, organize and implement projects
▪ Knowledge of issues and trends in digital library development and metadata standards.
▪ Demonstrated experience with systems that manage and provide access to digital objects; basic
knowledge of the processes involved in digitization and development of digital content discovery
and delivery systems.
▪ Demonstrated experience with database design and data modeling
▪ Demonstrated analytical, problem-solving and innovative thinking skills
▪ Demonstrated written and oral communication skills and interpersonal and consultative skills
▪ Proven leadership ability
▪ Demonstrated ability to perform duties requiring judgment and initiative
SALARY: $83,137.60 per annum (2018 Rate)
HOW TO APPLY:
Email your cover letter and resume, quoting the Job Posting #, to
email@example.com. We thank all applicants and advise that only those selected
for an interview will be contacted.
The Toronto Public Library invites applications from all qualified individuals. The Library is
committed to employment equity and diversity in the workplace and welcomes applications from
visible minorities, aboriginal people, persons with disabilities, and persons of any sexual
orientation or gender identity.
Upon request, accommodation will be provided for persons with disabilities through all stages of
the recruitment and selection process.