This is an immediate position that is not considered under our Master of Information Co-op option.
UX Designer Co-op
FreshBooks is designing a future where anyone can easily and successfully run a small business. Join one of our Product Development teams as a UX Design Co-op where you’ll work alongside world-class designers, developers, and product managers practicing industry-leading process to ship award-winning software to our amazing customers every week. You will learn to ultilize the FreshBooks design principles and patterns, tackle aggressive sprint schedules, run usability tests, and deliver outstanding design experiences to our customers.
With the help of a designer mentor, you will:
- Seek to deeply understand the problems you’re solving for our customers, and explore multiple approaches to solving them
- Design consistent and high quality user experiences, based on our design patterns and principles, from user flows and interaction design through mockups and copywriting
- Manage design projects from inception to delivery, by building project plans and engaging key stakeholders through the process
- Perform usability tests to validate or invalidate your assumptions about the proposed solution and iterate based on user feedback
- Synthesize and report on user research to your team and provide informed design recommendations
- Critique other designers’ work and solicit critiques of your own work, to leverage the collective expertise of the team when making product decisions
We think you’ll be an amazing fit for this position if your application can demonstrate:
- Understanding of design thinking and user-centered design approaches
- A passion for the “why” of design, as well as the “what”
- An egoless attitude toward design and a passion to learn and grow every day
- The ability to manage project timelines effectively and get things done
- Experience working on a team in a professional capacity
- Familiarity Mac OS, Sketch, and basic HTML/CSS
Why join Product Development at FreshBooks?
We’re an ambitious bunch, with our eyes laser-focused on shipping extraordinary experiences to small business owners. You’ll be surrounded by talented team members who share a common vision for what an amazing software company can be, and have the opportunity to help shape the software we deliver in a world-class start-up right here in downtown Toronto.
- Provide a link to your portfolio
- Answer the following questions and attach your responses to your application package:
- Why are you interested in product design?
- What is one project that you‘ve worked on outside of school (volunteer or personal) that you’re especially proud of? Explain why.
- Explain why you have chosen FreshBooks as a place to work as a co-op?
UX Design Co-op Testimonial:
“Working as a Junior Researcher at FreshBooks has been such an incredible experience. Not only is everyone amazingly friendly and supportive, but the culture is also very receptive to research. I was encouraged to try out new research methods and provided with support whenever I hit a roadblock. Research is not something done in isolation here, but a process which each designer is dedicated to and something that product managers and developers care about getting involved in as well. I felt that I was given the resources and the trust to really be able to make a meaningful contribution during my time here. From having the opportunity to conduct field research in New York, to seeing my research recommendations being carried out, working at FreshBooks has been an incredible blend of learning and making an impact, all the while connecting with some amazingly talented folks.” – Elena Djordjic
“Freshbooks is such an incredibly safe, inclusive, fun and familial environment and you’re going to learn a tonne in the next 4 months (or 8 if you’re lucky), and actually make an impact on a product used by over a million business owners. As a designer, I had an opportunity to have my hand in every stage of the design process, from the research phase all the way to working with developers to ensure pixel perfect designs were pushed to the app. However, my favourite part of working at Freshbooks (along with the ping pong) was the incredible mentorship I received. Everyone on both your product team and on the design team has a wealth of experience and really work with you to help you grow both as a designer and as a person. All in all, my summer at Freshbooks was an incredible introduction to working as a UX designer!” – Shashaank Srinivasan
This is a paid internship.
How to apply: Please submit your resume, link to portfolio, and responses in one .pdf document to Alex Howes, Faculty of Information Careers Officer, firstname.lastname@example.org