The call for papers is now live for the 2018 BHPC Graduate Student Colloquium, “Books Beyond Reading: Uses, Reuses and Abuses of Textual Objects” to be held on 10 March 2018. Students are strongly encouraged to consider submitting an application.
Possible approaches and topics include, but are not limited to, the following:
• How technologies mediate the production and use of textual objects, from hypertext to wampum to letterpress
• Uses of literacy and inscribed objects in resisting and/or reinforcing colonial power
• Books as sites for intellectual labour
• The repurposing of existing books for new artistic and intellectual aims
• Books as prized, collectible, contested, or dangerous items
• Textual objects as circulating players in economies and ecologies
• Disrupting narratives of linear progress from oral to written communication systems and associated concepts of literacy
• Books as instruments and conduits of social justice
Keynote presentations by: Dr. Heidi Bohaker (Department of History, University of Toronto) and Dr. Bhavani Raman (Department of History, University of Toronto; Department of Historical and Cultural Studies, University of Toronto Scarborough; Centre for South Asian Studies, Asian Institute, Munk School of Global Affairs).
For solo paper proposals, please submit a single document containing the following elements:
1. Abstract (150–200 words)
2. Biographical statement for the presenter (100–150 words) including name, institutional affiliation (if applicable), and email address
For panel proposals, please submit a single document containing the following elements:
1. Brief overview of the proposed panel theme
2. Abstract for each panel presenter (150–200 words)
3. Biographical statement of each presenter (100–150 words)
The deadline for the submission of paper and panel proposals is December 14th, 2017.
To submit an abstract or for further inquiries, please contact the colloquium organizers at: firstname.lastname@example.org.
For more information about the colloquium, please visit: http://bhpctoronto.com/event/2018-bhpc-graduate-student-colloquium/