The Rare Books and Manuscripts Section (RBMS) of the Association of College and Research Libraries (ACRL) is offering scholarships to subsidize first-time conference attendance by professional librarians, qualified paraprofessionals, and students. RBMS is currently accepting scholarship applications for the 2018 RBMS Conference, to be held in New Orleans from June 19-22, 2018. The deadline to apply is January 12, 2018 and applicants will be notified on or before February 28, 2018.
Full and partial scholarships are awarded. Full scholarships include a waiver of the conference registration fee (up to $290 for professional and paraprofessional ACRL members, or $135 for full-time student members) plus a travel and accommodation stipend. Partial scholarships provide complimentary registration and may or may not include a stipend.
All candidates must be:
- Currently enrolled in a library, information science, or archival studies program; a graduate of such a program; OR currently employed as a paraprofessional in a rare books, special collections, or archives capacity and
- Members of ACRL who have not previously attended an RBMS conference and who do not have sufficient institutional support to attend.
The Scholarships Committee will take into consideration the following criteria when considering applicants:
- Evidence of commitment to and interest in the special collections field
- Interest in contributing to the profession
- Potential to benefit professionally from attendance at the conference
- Financial need
- Member of an underrepresented racial or ethnic group, or employed by an institution that primarily serves one or more of these groups
Scholarship recipients are required to attend the entire conference and complete the conference evaluation. To help ensure the ongoing improvement of the scholarship program, all scholarship winners will be required to submit a post-conference evaluation letter by July 31, 2018.
The deadline to apply is January 12, 2018 (11:59pm EST). Please see the RBMS Conference website for more details and to apply: http://conference.rbms.info/2018/scholarships/