If you will be completing the requirements for your degree by end of April 2020, you are an “April finisher” and must graduate in June 2020 either in absentia (no ceremony) or with participation in the official Convocation ceremony held at Convocation Hall. You may choose only one method of graduation. You may only attend the ceremony at which your degree is being conferred. You will not be able to attend alternate or future ceremonies.
Please read the following information/timeline thoroughly and follow-up with the required steps in a timely manner:
1. Submit the iSchool Intent to Convocate online form between March 1st and April 1st
- The Intent to Convocate form opens on March 1st – a link will be made available then.
- The form will prompt iSchool Student Services to review your academic record for graduation eligbility.
- Even though you will be wrapping up your final courses this winter term, do not wait until your winter grades are available on ACORN (May 13, 2020) to submit the form.
- Based on your notification to iSchool Student Services via our Intent to Convocate form, we will submit your degree recommendation to the School of Graduate Studies (SGS) by their deadline of April 17th.
- Check your online ACORN invoice.
- Around March, you will see Summer 2020 fees posted to your account.
- Do not pay fees for the Summer 2020 session.
- See below for more details:
Full-time, Two-year students:
- Summer 2020 fees, including any interest that may accrue, will be removed late-April 2020 in the weeks following April 17, 2020 (the date by which Degree Recommendations will be submitted to SGS), but until you are assessed and cleared for convocation late-April, these fees are displayed on your account.
- It may take a few weeks after April 17th to clear your account, please do not worry!
Part-time students and Full-time students who are finishing earlier than the regular full-time period of 2 years:
- Summer 2020 fees will also be removed late-April 2020, however:
- You will likely have a Balance of Degree Fee that will be assessed by SGS and posted separately to your account closer to the date of convocation.
- Check your ACORN invoice and pay the Balance of Degree fee once posted, if applicable.
3. Name Changes
Verify that the spelling of your name is correct as it appears in ACORN – this is the name that will appear on your diploma. Deadline for changes in time for June 2020 convocation: March 19, 2020.
- Submit the SGS Change of Name or Gender Request Form via the SGS portal. This is to change: misspellings, the addition or deletion of a name, and the changing of a last name (due to marriage, etc.) OR
- Submit the Office of Convocation Name on Diploma (June Form) and return the form to the address provided for the Office of Convocation at 27 King’s College Circle. This is to change: the addition of accents or special characters only
4. Degree Recommendations
All Degree Recommendations will be submitted by iSchool Student Services to the SGS by April 17, 2020. You will receive a notification email to your UTmail+ account from iSchool’s email@example.com account once this has been done – this is your official notice/confirmation that you will be graduating.
The Office of Convocation will email information on ordering your gown/hood and RSVP’ing/ordering guest tickets closer to convocation.
5. Wrapping Up
Continue to check your UTmail+ email account. Promptly follow-up on instructions you may receive from iSchool Student Services, SGS or the Office of Convocation. Find detailed information at: the iSchool page on Graduation (including process to request a Confirmation of Degree Letter) and the SGS page on Graduation & Convocation.
Email Listservs: As we may need to send you timely information, you will stay on our listservs until convocation on June 4, 2020. June graduands will be removed from student email listservs after June 4th.
Final Tests and Assignments: Please pick-up your graded final tests/assignments from iSchool Student Services, 4th Floor Inforum) only if your instructor has confirmed that they’ve been dropped off at the office after classes have ended.
Electronic Key Fobs: Please return your key fob to iSchool Student Services, 4th Floor Inforum.
Please note: students who started in Fall 2015 and onward did NOT pay a key fob deposit and will NOT be receiving money back. Those who paid $20 for a replacement key fob also will not receive the replacement fee back.
Lockers: If you rented locker for the 2019-2020 academic year please be sure to clear all items and remove your lock from the locker. Please email iSchool Student Services at firstname.lastname@example.org to confirm that your locker has been cleared out. Lockers not cleared by August 2020 will be emptied/cleared by mid-August. Items found within will be disposed by August 31st.
6. Grad Photos
CanGrad will be at the iSchool and SGS in April 2020 to take graduation portraits. Details TBA.
- iSchool Dates: TBA
- SGS Dates: TBA
7. June Graduation
Graduation with Convocation Ceremony:
Check the Office of Convocation website for updates on specific dates and times.
MI, MMSt, CDP, Diploma, PhD
Convocation Ceremony Date: Thursday, June 4, 2020 (subject to change, please check Office of Convocation for most up-to-date information)
Time: 10:00 am – 12:00 pm
Location: Convocation Hall
Faculty of Information Convocation Reception: TBA
Helpful tips and reminders:
- Follow the Office of Convocation’s Graduation Checklist to ensure you have everything lined up for the big day.
- Check the Office of Convocation’s Gowns & Hoods and RSVP & Guest Tickets pages for dates when you can book your regalia, RSVP your attendance for the ceremony and request guest tickets online via ACORN.
- If you’re not attending the ceremony, see details on how to pick up your diploma starting June 23rd.
8. Continue to Learn!
Through the UofT Alumni Benefits program, recent grads qualify for an alumni discount of $550 to use towards any one course at the University of Toronto School of Continuing Studies.