If you will be completing the requirements for your degree by end of April 2018, you are an “April finisher” and must graduate in June 2018 either in absentia (no ceremony) or with participation in the official Convocation ceremony held at Con Hall. Please read the following information/timeline thoroughly and follow-up with the required steps in a timely manner:
1. Submit the online iSchool Intent to Convocate form between March 1st and April 1st to be reviewed for graduation eligbility. The form opens on March 1st.
- Even though you are still currently wrapping up your final courses this winter term, do not wait until your winter grades are available on ACORN (May 16, 2018) to submit the form.
- Based on your notification to the iSchool via our internal ItC form, we will submit your degree recommendation to SGS by their deadline of April 20th.
- Check your online ACORN invoice.
- Around March, you will see Summer 2018 fees posted to your account. Do not pay fees for the Summer 2018 session.
Full-time, Two-year students:
- Summer 2018 fees, including any interest that may accrue, will be removed late-April 2018 in the weeks following April 20, 2018 (the date by which Degree Recommendations will be submitted to SGS), but until you are assessed and cleared for convocation late-April, these fees are displayed on your account.
- It may take a few weeks after April 20th to clear your account, please do not worry.
Part-time students and Full-time students who are finishing earlier than the regular full-time period of 2 years:
- Summer 2018 fees will also be removed late-April 2018, however:
- You will likely have a Balance of Degree Fee that will be assessed by SGS and posted separately to your account closer to the date of convocation.
- Check your ACORN invoice and pay the Balance of Degree fee once posted, if applicable.
3. Name Changes
Verify that the spelling of your name is correct as it appears in ACORN – this is the name that will appear on your diploma. Deadline for changes in time for June 2018 convocation: March 22, 2018.
- Submit the School of Graduate Studies Name or Gender Change form along with photo ID to SGS Student Academic Services at 63 St. George Street between 9:30 a.m. and 4:30 p.m. This is to change: misspellings, the addition or deletion of a name, and the changing of a last name (due to marriage, divorce, etc.) OR
- Submit the Office of Convocation June Name on Diploma form to the Office of Convocation at 27 King’s College Circle. This is to change: the addition of accents or special characters only.
4. Degree Recommendations
All Degree Recommendations will be submitted by iSchool Student Services to the School of Graduate Studies (SGS) by April 20, 2018. You will receive a notification email to your UTmail+ account from iSchool’s email@example.com account once this has been done – this is your official notice/confirmation that you will be graduating. The Office of Convocation will email information on ordering your gown/hood and RSVP’ing/ordering guest tickets closer to convocation.
5. Wrapping Up
Continue to check your UTmail+ email account. Promptly follow-up on instructions you may receive from iSchool Student Services, the School of Graduate Studies (SGS), or the Office of Convocation. Find detailed information at: the iSchool page on Graduation and the SGS page on Graduation & Convocation. June graduands will be removed from student email listservs after June 14th.
Final Tests and Assignments: Please pick-up your graded final tests and assignments from the Student Services Office (BL 211) only if your instructor has emailed you to let you know they have left them at the front desk. Our regular office hours are:
Monday, Wednesday–Friday: 8:45 a.m.–5 p.m.
Tuesdays: 10 a.m.–5 p.m.
Fobs: Please return your fob to the front desk of the Student Services Office before June 30, 2018 during our regular office hours. Fobs may be returned to the Inforum (4th Floor) outside of our regular office hours.
Please note, students who started in Fall 2015 and onward did NOT pay a key fob deposit and will NOT be receiving a deposit back. Those who paid $20 for a replacement key fob also will not receive that fee back.
Lockers: If you have a rented locker for the 2017/18 academic year please be sure to clear all items and remove your lock from the locker. Please email Asma Pathan: firstname.lastname@example.org to confirm that your locker has been cleared out.
6. Grad Photos
CanGrad will be at the iSchool and SGS in April 2018 to take graduation portraits. See full details at: June 2018 graduation portraits at the iSchool and at SGS.
- iSchool Dates: April 13th & April 24th 2018
- SGS Dates: March 21st, April 25th, April 26th, May 3rd, May 4th, May 8th, May 9th, May 10th 2018
7. June Graduation
Graduation in absentia (no ceremony):
See details on how to pick up your diploma as of June 26th
Graduation with Convocation Ceremony:
See June 2018 Convocation Ceremony Dates
MI, MMSt and Diploma
Date: Thursday, June 14, 2018
Time: 10:00 am – 12:00 pm
Location: Convocation Hall – Come by the Convocation Tent after the ceremony to sign our banner!
Date: Thursday, June 7, 2018
Time: 6:30 pm – 8:30 pm
Location: Convocation Hall
All graduating students are welcome to join us for the Convocation Reception! The reception will take place immediately after the Convocation ceremonies from 1:00 pm to 3:00 pm on June 14th in the Inforum. There will be beverages, hors d’oeuvres, awards presentations, including MISC Outstanding Instructor Award!
If you are RSVPing before May 31 please send your RSVP your attendance and the number of guests (4 maximum) to email@example.com.
As of June 1 please send all RSVPs to firstname.lastname@example.org by June 7th.
Let’s celebrate all your hard work and accomplishments!
If you require an accommodation or have any food allergies, please let us know.
Helpful tips and reminders:
- Follow the Office of Convocation’s Graduation Checklist to ensure you have everything lined up for the big day.
- Check the Office of Convocation’s Gowns & Hoods and RSVP & Guest Tickets pages for dates when you can book your regalia, RSVP your attendance for the ceremony and request guest tickets online via ACORN.
Updated: Gown rental, online RSVP and guest tickets open from Monday, May 7th at 10am – Tuesday, May 22nd at 5:30pm
- If you’re not attending the ceremony, see details on how to pick up your diploma as of June 26th.
8. Continue to Learn!
Recent grads (up to 24 months from graduation date) are eligible for a Course credit of up to $750 for New Grads at UofT’s School of Continuing Studies.