ARL is now accepting applications for the Initiative to Recruit a Diverse Workforce 2018-2020 cohort. Applications are due by 11:59 p.m. eastern daylight time (EDT) on Monday, May 14, 2018.
Complete the Initiative to Recruit a Diverse Workforce Application Form online. With your application, submit the following documents in PDF:
- Résumé (see guidelines)
- A 400-word essay describing what attracts you to a professional position in a research library or archive, especially one that is a member of the Association of Research Libraries (essays should be typed and addressed to the IRDW Selection Committee). Criteria for evaluating the essays:
- Clarity and content
- Clearly articulated career goals and professional interests
- Perceived potential for growth
- Unofficial undergraduate school transcripts, including your last academic semester completed. Electronic submissions are admissible for consideration, but hard-copy originals must be on file before an applicant can be accepted into the program.
- Unofficial graduate transcripts, including your last academic semester completed, OR official letter of acceptance into a graduate-level program in library and information science. Electronic submissions are admissible for consideration, but hard-copy originals must be on file before an applicant can be accepted into the program.
- Select two references who can assess and speak to your character and abilities. One should be from a current or former supervisor or school faculty member who can speak to your:
- Oral and written expression
- Interpersonal skills (e.g., ability to work as a part of a team)
Letters of recommendation should be written on letterhead, signed, scanned, and e-mailed directly from the reference to Mira Swearer at firstname.lastname@example.org. Electronic copies are preferred, but hard copies of recommendation letters may be sent to ARL at the following address:
Mira Swearer, Program Coordinator for Grants Administration
Association of Research Libraries
21 Dupont Circle NW, Suite 800
Washington DC 20036
Application & Program Timeline for the 2018–2020 IRDW cohort
- April 2, 2018: ARL issues Call for Applications
- May 14, 2018: Applications due to ARL
- Early July 2018: Applicant notified of selection decision by e-mail
- August 31, 2018: First-semester stipends disbursed
- January 31, 2019: Second-semester stipends disbursed to those who meet qualifications
- January 24-27, 2019: Scholars attend 15th Annual ARL Leadership Symposium in Seattle, WA
- April-May 2019: Scholars participate in a research library visit at an ARL member library
For questions about the application process, please contact Mira Swearer by e-mail at email@example.com.