On this page, you will find helpful information to keep you up-to-date on upcoming events and trends across a range industries. Career trends may range from areas such as recruitment practices, top organizations to work at, to career exploration strategies. Events are external to the iSchool and will often take place in and around the Greater Toronto Area.
For questions related to this information, please contact Alex Howes, Careers Officer, email@example.com
Planning to interview for a technical role? Whether you’re a Computer Science student or grad, training to become a Developer or Software Engineer, or a Hiring Manager looking for technical roles, we’ve rounded up hiring experts from Shopify, INTERSECT, Hired, Wave and Wealthsimple to dive into how you can nail your next technical interview.
If you’re graduating this spring and still struggling to find a job, there’s no reason to worry. There’s almost never been a better time than now for new grads to be looking for work.
Ten Thousand Coffees partners with Facebook with the goal of making professional connections.
Summer Internship – IT Systems and Support
Ontario Colleges Library Service (OCLS)
Summer Internship (37.5 hrs. /week) June – September 3, 2018 (flexible) with possible extension as part-time into the fall.
Ontario Colleges Library Service (OCLS) is seeking a motivated and self-directed Library Science or Master of Information summer student/intern to support several IT, systems, records and metadata driven projects that OCLS is undertaking this summer. The projects would include but not be limited to: supporting the migration of the SirsiDynix Symphony system to an offsite hosted environment, assisting with the reloading of records into the Colleges Union Catalogue (CUC) and the review, editing, merging and delivery of eBook Consortium and other records, assisting with an authority control project, conducting an environmental scan to identify and analyze alternate solutions for our current ezProxy-based Remote Access (RA) service and helping to prepare and plan for its migration later this fall.
- Assist the OCLS IT team to plan and prepare for migration of key college systems;
- Participate in post-migration testing, and testing and implementation of key script fixes;
- Using existing documentation and workflows participate in the reloading of records into the Colleges Union Catalogue and the review, editing, merging and/or delivery of eBook consortium records and other records;
- Load authority records and support library participants in an authority control project;
- Analyze OCLS’s current Remote Access (RA) service, its structure, workflows, resource requirements, and related systems; identify strengths and weaknesses and conduct research to identify alternate solutions and their features, functionality and costs;
- Participate in responding to college library customer’s requests for system support;
- Other duties as assigned
The qualifications listed below are highly desirable but not necessarily mandatory. Candidates are invited to demonstrate how their skills, knowledge, and experience would best fit this position in their application.
- Demonstrated knowledge, experience and interest in library technical systems and services;
- Demonstrated knowledge and experience working with bibliographic and/or authority records and metadata/metadata schema;
- Knowledge, experience or understanding of proxy and authentication systems such as EzProxy, OpenAthens, Shibboleth, Single Sign On (SSO);
- Knowledge, experience or understanding of integrated library systems;
- Strong technical ability to work with a wide variety of applications and systems;
- Excellent problem solving and analytical abilities;
- Self-directed with willingness and ability to take direction as well as to work as part of a team;
- Strong oral and written communication skills;
- 1-2 years’ experience working in or with libraries; ideally in library systems and support
What OCLS Offers
Competitive compensation; the hourly salary is $25.00, including vacation pay;
- Learning and development opportunities;
- Small staff working in cross-functional teams;
- Opportunities to build relationships across the province;
- Flexible work arrangements;
- Employee and family assistance program (EFAP).
Join OCLS in providing quality services to Ontario’s publicly funded colleges and their libraries and learning resource centres. Visit our website for more details http://www.ocls.ca and view the OCLS Strategic Plan for our values, mission, and additional information.
OCLS is an equal opportunity employer and respects, appreciates and encourages diversity. OCLS strives to ensure that its hiring process meets the needs of all persons with disabilities. As such, OCLS will provide reasonable accommodation for any applicant, as requested during the hiring process.
Off-site interviews can be arranged.
Applications must be received by 4:00 pm, May 22, 2018. Applications will be reviewed as they are received.
Approximately June-September (flexible) with possible part-time extension through the fall.
How to Apply
Interested and qualified candidates may apply by submitting a letter of application, current resume, and references in a single file labelled with “Your Name_summer2018” via e-mail to firstname.lastname@example.org quoting “Your Name – summer2018” in the subject line. Only those candidates selected for interview will be contacted.