On this page you will find helpful information to keep you up-to-date on upcoming events and trends across a range of industries. Career trends may range from areas such as recruitment practices, to top organizations to work at, to career exploration strategies. Events are external to the iSchool and will often take place in and around the Greater Toronto Area.
For questions related to this information, please contact Alex Howes, Careers Officer, at firstname.lastname@example.org
Tips for Navigating the Job Search Process in the Age of AI
Artificial intelligence is everywhere—especially on the job hunt. From application to offer, we’ve got advice on how to make sure even the machines know you’re the best candidate for the job.
The Importance of Strategic Post-Interview Follow-Up
A well-thought-out message can put the finishing touches on a great interview or help save you after a not-so-great one.
Selling Yourself in Your Cover Letter
Advertisers know the key to grabbing your attention in a matter of seconds—use their techniques to sell a future employer on you and your qualifications in your next cover letter.
- Practice Your Interview
Date: Thursday July 18, 2019 2:00PM – 4:00PM
Presenters: Career Centre Staff, Career Centre
About this Session:
A follow up to Own Your Interview, this small group session will give you an opportunity to practice and improve your interview skills. Working with peers, you will practice identifying potential questions, preparing your responses and communicating your accomplishments. Please bring a copy of your résumé and a job description of a position that interests you. What you need to know. • Ensure you register! • Arrive on time (or early). Events start on time and you may be denied entry after the event start time. • If you can’t come – cancel. Please cancel your registration to allow others a chance to attend. • Waitlisted students. If there are available spaces at the event start time, waitlisted students will be able to attend on a first come, first serve basis. • Bring your T-Card. Only University of Toronto students and recent graduates (within the past two years) are eligible to attend. If you require disability-related accommodations for an event or workshop, please e-mail us at email@example.com
2. Finding Full-Time Work
Date: Tuesday July 23, 2019 3:00PM – 5:00PM
Presenters: Career Centre Staff, Career Centre
About this Session:
The search for full-time work is a dynamic, and often complex process. This session will equip you with resources, tools, and strategies that will assist you in locating and pursuing a full-time job. Discover places and people to help target your search and begin developing your personalized job search action plan. What you need to know. • Ensure you register! • Arrive on time (or early). Events start on time and you may be denied entry after the event start time. • If you can’t come – cancel. Please cancel your registration to allow others a chance to attend. • Waitlisted students. If there are available spaces at the event start time, waitlisted students will be able to attend on a first come, first serve basis. • Bring your T-Card. Only University of Toronto students and recent graduates (within the past two years) are eligible to attend. If you require disability-related accommodations for an event or workshop, please e-mail us at firstname.lastname@example.org
- Full Stack Developer (Job ID: 148636)
CLOSES ON: July 19, 2019
APPLY: volunteer@LetsStopAIDS.org (resume and a portfolio, if you have one, to volunteer@LetsStopAIDS.org with the subject line: Web Developer)
We are looking for a Full Stack Web Developer with medium to advanced skills in responsive design. We are looking for someone to help improve and optimize our current website, but be involved in the process of strategy for our new (and much more improved) website.
You will be working with our team to develop the tone, message and style for LetsStopAIDS (as a charity) and our various programmes, by helping us code, beautiful, meaningful content.
- Medium to Advanced Laravel
- PHP 7.0+
- Laravel 5.4+
- MySQL 5.5+
- Composer Package Management
- CPanel (or similar web-based GUI for server management)
- Payment Gateway Experience (at least basics of integrating gateways into your codebase)
- Experience with STRIPE API, Stripe Gateway setup, experience with token-based systems
- Advanced Laravel and/or Symphony development
- Design UI/UX Experience
- Linux administration / maintenance (setting up CRON scripts, manipulation of files, etc)
- Basic graphical design experience an asset (Photoshop, Fireworks, GIMP, etc)
- Experience working with dynamic sites
- Open-mindedness to working with charities
- Financial Analyst, Product Control & Valuations (Co-op)
CLOSES ON: July 21, 2019
EMPLOYER: Royal Bank of Canada (RBC)
PAYMENT: TBD, 35+hrs/wk
APPLY: https://career8.successfactors.com/sfcareer/jobreqcareer?jobId=187117&company=RBC&username (cover letter, resume, unofficial transcript)
What will you do?
- Develop understanding of various Financial Products and corresponding Valuation Methodologies
- Work on streamlining, automation and optimization of the processes employed by the department
- Develop and enhance various Financial Models and Reporting Tools utilized in valuations
- Provide programming expertise to support other ad-hoc valuation requests/projects
What do you need to succeed?
- A desire to develop overall knowledge of Financial Markets and in-depth understanding of Financial Products
- Proficiency with MS Excel. MS Access experience is desired
- Programming experience, including model automation using VBA. Experience in C and SQL along with other
- programming languages is considered an asset
- Strong communication and interpersonal skills
- Availability for a 12 month term
- Research Analyst (Co-op)
CLOSES ON: until filled
EMPLOYER: Quandl Inc.
Quandl is transforming how business decisions are made.
Data is the most important resource of the 21st century, and Quandl is at the heart of the emerging data economy. Over the last 5 years, we’ve built the world’s largest and most successful data marketplace – a platform where over 400,000 professionals buy, sell, create and consume data.
Quandl today is used by everybody from academics to AIs; from two-person fintech startups to billion-dollar hedge funds.
In this role, you will:
- Perform general research on a wide range of industries and technologies
- Perform research on different companies and product-level sales trends
- Study relationships between companies, their subsidiaries, and associated executives
- Track IPOs, mergers and acquisitions, and other corporate events
- Track upcoming conferences and other industry events
- Seek out new and interesting data sources to assist with research and product development needs
The ideal candidate will have:
- Excellent time management, analytical, and organization skills
- Great verbal and written communication skills
- Proficiency with Microsoft Office tools
- Basic knowledge and experience in at least one scripting language (e.g. python, ruby)
- Basic knowledge of financial markets and be interested in finance and economics
- Entrepreneurial and enthusiastic about working in a fast-paced startup environment
- Currently enrolled as a second- or third-year post-secondary student at a Canadian institution in Finance, Economics, Computer Science, or equivalent program
Our Company Culture:
- We believe in working productively on important and interesting challenges, with talented individuals who are nice to each other.
- Productivity matters. We believe in getting things done.
- Our mission matters. We believe in what we’re doing, and why it’s important.
- Competence matters. We learn and grow by working with teammates who are excellent at their job.
- Niceness matters. Life is too short to put up with unpleasant behavior.
- We are strongly committed to diversity and equality of opportunity. We are proud to have a team that is 40% women (including 50% of our C-suite), 40% first-generation immigrant, and 30% visible minority. We strive to create an environment that is welcoming and inclusive for everyone.