Career Trends & Events– September 4th, 2018
On this page, you will find helpful information to keep you up-to-date on upcoming events and trends across a range industries. Career trends may range from areas such as recruitment practices, top organizations to work at, to career exploration strategies. Events are external to the iSchool and will often take place in and around the Greater Toronto Area.
This piece is compiled weekly by the Careers Office Research Assistant.
For questions related to this information, please contact Alex Howes, Careers Officer, email@example.com
When people begin their job hunt, one of the first things they do before applying to a role is research the company. Most often, their research consists of consulting third-party review sites such as Indeed Company Pages to see what former and current employees are saying about the organization.
Source: Indeed Canada
A job interview is an exciting opportunity to highlight your professional skills and earn that long-awaited position. However, many candidates wrongly treat interviews like interrogations.
Date: September – October
Time: 1-2 hour sessions
Location: University of Toronto (various locations)
Registration: https://cln.utoronto.ca (Login as “Student” -> “Events & Workshops Calendar” -> “St. George Career Exploration & Education”)
On-campus recruitment is another way to find out about full-time employment upon graduation, summer and termed work-integrated learning opportunities. Since these events are exclusive to U of T students and recent graduates, there’s less competition!
Over 150 top employers from all over the world visit the campus to recruit the best candidates! These employers post jobs on the CLN job board, host information sessions and interview on-campus throughout early September – November and January – March each year.
Date: September 5th
Time: 6:30 PM to 9:30 PM
Location: LoyaltyOne Offices King East
* Advanced Analytics and Customer Loyalty Management
* How advanced analytics are being used for customer loyalty programs
* Spark machine learning tool for retail classification models
Date: October 20th
Time: 8:30am – 5:00pm
Location: RBC WaterPark Place Auditorium, 88 Queens Quay West, Toronto, ON M5J 0B8
Concentration: CIPS, C&T, ISD
Cyber Tech & Risk is proud to bring you a high-value conference of“People in Cyber” in RBC WaterPark Place Auditorium on Saturday, October 20, 2018!
This full-day conference includes the three main programs as follows:
- Cybersecurity Higher Education Contest– Teams from Ontario Universities and Colleges compete to solve the cybersecurity industry’s challenge – “People are the weakest link in cybersecurity”
- Cybersecurity Knowledge– Keynote speeches, panel discussion, and educational talks by industry leaders and experts on cybersecurity trends, best practices, and talents development
- Cybersecurity Career Fair– Opportunities for cybersecurity talents to meet hiring companies, submit their resumes, and discover career resources
Job Title: askON Student Opportunity
askON Student Opportunity
Organization: Ask Ontario, Ontario Colleges Library Service (OCLS)
City: Virtual Province/State: Ontario Country: Canada
Category: Library (Academic) Job type: Volunteer Duration: Temporary Description and duties:
The Ask Ontario virtual reference service, an opt-in service of the Ontario Colleges Library
Service (OCLS), delivers real-time chat and SMS reference services for 12 of the province’s college
askON is seeking to recruit first or second year MLIS/MI/LIT candidates to volunteer with askON and
help partner libraries manage the traffic of the askON chat & SMS services. Under the direction of
the Ask Ontario Project Manager and with the supervision and mentorship of askON library staff,
students will be given the opportunity to learn and practice their reference skills in a
collaborative chat & SMS reference services.
Students will receive instruction from the askON team and will be scheduled for at least two
one-hour shifts per week. There is flexibility within scheduling to fit with school, work and other
commitments. Most shifts will be on evenings and weekends. We are seeking volunteers who can commit
to both Fall and Winter semesters (Sept to Dec & Jan to Apr). askON shifts can be filled from any
location as long as there is a high-speed Internet connection and computer available.
• MI/MLIS/LIT candidate, with a special interest and/or coursework/experience in reference
• Familiarity with wide range of databases, e-resources, and publicly available internet
• Experience in a post-secondary reference environment highly desirable but not required
• Strong desire to work in a research and reference environment
• Well developed interpersonal and communication skills
• Self-directed, motivated, and reliable
• Experiential knowledge of IM and SMS
• Fast typing speed: 60 wpm+, comfort with real-time chat conversation
• Familiarity with the askON service
• Computer and high-speed internet connection required
This is a volunteer position. However, participants receive the opportunity to develop and practice
virtual reference skills in a busy provincially-scaled service. Those who participate will receive
a letter of reference testifying to their training and engagement with Ask Ontario.
Additional information: What’s in it for you?
– Extensive training that will strengthen your reference skills.
– Experience in chat and SMS reference, a skill that may be desirable to employers.
– Opportunity to network with college library staff who will work on the service with you.
– Mentorship by professionals in the field.
– A reference letter from askON that testifies to your participation.
– A potential employment reference from askON staff.
What do you have to do?
– Be prepared to participate in several web-based, virtual training sessions (specified dates in
– Commit to covering two one-hour shifts on the askON service during the Fall and Winter semesters
of service. Most shifts will be scheduled on evenings/weekends. Scheduling is flexible.
– Sign a privacy & confidentiality agreement.
Apply by email: firstname.lastname@example.org
Application deadline: Applications will be reviewed upon receipt until September 12th, 2018 by , 4pm or
until the position is filled.
How to apply:
If you are interested, send your resume and cover letter to Siobán Linnen at email@example.com by
September 12th, 2018 by 4pm.
OCLS welcomes and encourages applications from people with disabilities. Accommodations are
available on request for candidates taking part in all aspects of the selection process.
Due to the anticipated volume of responses, only candidates selected for an interview will be
contacted. We thank everyone for their interest.