If you will be completing the requirements for your degree by the end of December 2018, you are a “December finisher” and must graduate in either (not both) March 2019 in absentia (no ceremony) OR in June 2019 (with possibility of participation in the official Convocation ceremony held at Con Hall). You must choose one graduation only.
Please read the following information/timeline thoroughly and follow-up with the required steps in a timely manner:
1. Submit the online Faculty of Information Intent to Convocate form November 1st and December 1st to be reviewed for graduation eligbility. The form opens on November 1st.
- Even though you will be wrapping up your final courses in the fall term, do not wait until your fall grades are available on ACORN (January 16, 2019) to submit the form.
- Based on your notification to Student Services via our ItC form, we will submit your degree recommendation to SGS by their deadline of January 18th.
- Check your online ACORN invoice.
- Around early-July, you will have seen Fall 2018-Winter 2019 fees posted to your account:
Full-time, Two-year students:
- If you have already paid the Minimum Degree Fee (MDF-equivalent to 2-Years Full-Time fees), you do not pay fees for the Winter 2019 session
- Winter 2019 fees, including any interest that may accrue, will be removed late-January 2019 in the weeks following January 18, 2019 (the date by which Degree Recommendations will be submitted to SGS), but until you are assessed and cleared for convocation late-January, these fees are displayed on your account.
- It may take a few weeks after January 18th to clear your account, please do not worry.
Part-time students and Full-time students who are finishing earlier than the regular full-time period of 2 years:
- Winter 2019 fees will also be removed late-January 2019, however:
- You will likely have a Balance of Degree Fee that will be assessed by SGS and posted separately to your account closer to the date of convocation.
- Check your ACORN invoice and pay the Balance of Degree fee once posted, if applicable.
3. Name Changes
Verify that the spelling of your name is correct as it appears in ACORN – this is the name that will appear on your diploma. Deadline for changes in time for March or June 2018 convocation: TBA
- Submit the School of Graduate Studies Name or Gender Change form via the SGS portal. This is to change: misspellings, the addition or deletion of a name, and the changing of a last name (due to marriage, etc.) OR
- Submit the Office of Convocation March Name on Diploma form (by TBA) or June Name on Diploma form (by TBA) to the Office of Convocation at 27 King’s College Circle. This is to change: the addition of accents or special characters only.
4. Degree Recommendations
All Degree Recommendations will be submitted by Faculty of Information Student Services to the School of Graduate Studies (SGS) by January 18, 2019. You will receive a notification email to your UTmail+ account from firstname.lastname@example.org account once this has been done – this is your official notice/confirmation that you will be graduating. The Office of Convocation will email information on ordering your gown/hood and RSVP’ing/ordering guest tickets closer to convocation.
5. Wrapping Up
Continue to check your UTmail+ email account. Promptly follow-up on instructions you may receive from Faculty of Information Student Services, the School of Graduate Studies (SGS), or the Office of Convocation. Find detailed information at: the iSchool page on Graduation and the SGS page on Graduation & Convocation. March graduands will be removed from student email listservs after TBA.
Final Tests and Assignments: Please pick-up your graded final tests/assignments from the Student Services Office (BL211) only if your instructor has confirmed that they’ve been dropped off at the office after classes have ended.
Electronic Key Fobs: Please return your key fob to the front desk of the Student Services Office during our regular office hours, or to Mailbox #B71, or to the Inforum (4th Floor) outside regular office hours.
Please note: students who started in Fall 2015 and onward did NOT pay a key fob deposit and will NOT be receiving money back. Those who paid $20 for a replacement key fob also will not receive the replacement fee back.
Lockers: If you have a rented locker for the 2018/19 academic year please be sure to clear all items and remove your lock from the locker. Please email Student Services at email@example.com to confirm that your locker has been cleared out.
6. Grad Photos
CanGrad will be at the iSchool in April 2019 to take graduation portraits. Further details TBA.
March Graduation in absentia-only (no ceremony):
See details on how to pick up your diploma – exact date: TBA
June Graduation in absentia or with Convocation Ceremony:
- June Graduation in absentia (no ceremony):
See details on how to pick up your diploma.
- June Convocation Ceremony
June 2019 Convocation ceremonies are TBA. Check the Office of Convocation website for updates on specific dates and times.
Helpful tips and reminders:
- Follow the Office of Convocation’s Graduation Checklist to ensure you have everything lined up for the big day.
- Check the Office of Convocation’s Gowns & Hoods and RSVP & Guest Tickets pages to see when you can book your regalia, RSVP your attendance for the ceremony and request guest tickets online via ACORN.
- If you’re not attending the ceremony, see details on how to pick up your diploma.
8. Continue to Learn!
Recent grads (up to 24 months from graduation date) are eligible for a Course credit of $750 for New Grads at UofT’s School of Continuing Studies.