If you will be completing the requirements for your degree by the end of December 2017, you are a “December finisher” and must graduate in either (not both) March 2018 in absentia (no ceremony) or June 2018 (with participation in the official Convocation ceremony held at Con Hall). You must choose one graduation only.
This is very early notice – please disregard the reminders that you’ll be seeing for upcoming Summer Finishers/November grads.
Please read the following information/timeline thoroughly and follow-up with the required steps in a timely manner:
1. Submit the online iSchool Intent to Convocate form between November 8th and December 8th to be reviewed for graduation eligbility. The form opens on November 8th.
- Even though you will be wrapping up your final courses in the fall term, do not wait until your fall grades are available on ACORN (January 17, 2018) to submit the form.
- Based on your notification to the iSchool via our ItC form, we will submit your degree recommendation to SGS by their deadline of January 19th.
- Check your online ACORN invoice.
- Around early-July, you will see Fall 2017-Winter 2018 fees posted to your account.
Full-time, Two-year students:
- If you have already paid the Minimum Degree Fee (MDF-equivalent to 2-Years Full-Time fees), you do not pay fees for the Winter 2018 session
- Winter 2018 fees, including any interest that may accrue, will be removed late-January 2018 in the weeks following January 19, 2018 (the date by which Degree Recommendations will be submitted to SGS), but until you are assessed and cleared for convocation late-January, these fees are displayed on your account.
- It may take a few weeks after January 19th to clear your account, please do not worry.
Part-time students and Full-time students who are finishing earlier than the regular full-time period of 2 years:
- Winter 2018 fees will also be removed late-January 2018, however:
- You will likely have a Balance of Degree Fee that will be assessed by SGS and posted separately to your account closer to the date of convocation.
- Check your ACORN invoice and pay the Balance of Degree fee once posted, if applicable.
3. Name Changes
Verify that the spelling of your name is correct as it appears in ACORN – this is the name that will appear on your diploma. Deadline for changes in time for March or June 2018 convocation: TBA
- Submit the School of Graduate Studies Name or Gender Change form along with photo ID to SGS Student Academic Services at 63 St. George Street between 9:30 a.m. and 4:30 p.m. This is to change: misspellings, the addition or deletion of a name, and the changing of a last name (due to marriage, etc.) OR
- Submit the Office of Convocation Name on Diploma form to the Office of Convocation at 27 King’s College Circle. This is to change: the addition of accents or special characters only.
4. Degree Recommendations
All Degree Recommendations will be submitted by iSchool Student Services to the School of Graduate Studies (SGS) by January 19, 2018. You will receive a notification email to your UTmail+ account from iSchool’s firstname.lastname@example.org account once this has been done – this is your official notice/confirmation that you will be graduating. The Office of Convocation will email information on ordering your gown/hood and RSVP’ing/ordering guest tickets closer to convocation.
5. Wrapping Up
Continue to check your UTmail+ email account. Promptly follow-up on instructions you may receive from iSchool Student Services, the School of Graduate Studies (SGS), or the Office of Convocation. Find detailed information at: the iSchool page on Graduation and the SGS page on Graduation & Convocation.
6. Grad Photos
CanGrad will be at the iSchool in April 2018 to take graduation portraits. Further details TBA.
7. March Graduation in absentia
See details on how to pick up your diploma
June Convocation Ceremony
June 2018 Convocation ceremonies are TBA. Check the Office of Convocation website for updates on specific dates and times.
Helpful tips and reminders:
- Follow the Office of Convocation’s Graduation Checklist to ensure you have everything lined up for the big day.
- Check the Office of Convocation’s Gowns & Hoods and RSVP & Guest Tickets pages to see when you can book your regalia, RSVP your attendance for the ceremony and request guest tickets online via ACORN.
- If you’re not attending the ceremony, see details on how to pick up your diploma.
- Continue to Learn!
Recent grads (up to 24 months from graduation date) are eligible for a Course credit of $750 for New Grads at UofT’s School of Continuing Studies.