Who: Returning MI, MMSt, and PhD Students, both Full-time and Part-time
Date: Wednesday July 18, 2018
Starts: 6am, eastern time (ACORN time)
Timetables: Please always check the Course Timetables section of the website for the most current timetables at: https://ischool.utoronto.ca/current-students/programs-courses/timetable/
Note: Until they are marked “Final”, Draft timetables are subject to change. Check the website before enrolling in courses.
Course Enrolment, Selection Mechanics and Tips: https://ischool.utoronto.ca/current-students/programs-courses/enrollment-registration/
Using ACORN: http://help.acorn.utoronto.ca/how-to/
Waitlists: If a course is full, add yourself to the waitlist via ACORN. If the system adds you to the course, you will receive an automated email notification to your UTmail+ address. Note that wait listed courses count towards your maximum course load.
Program Requirements: https://ischool.utoronto.ca/current-students/courses/programs-concentrations/
Notes for MMSt and MI specific courses. We will update this as needed.
MMSt Specific Information for Fall 2018 and Winter 2019 Courses (will be updated as needed):
- INF3900H section 0102: MMSt students are encouraged to enroll in this section of INF3900H. This cohort approach will help direct class discussions toward MMSt-related workplaces.
- Please note that admission to the MI Co-op option requires successful completion of INF3900H as a prerequisite.
- MSL1350H: Museums and Their Publics on Thursdays from 1-4pm is only available to 2nd year students.
- MSL2350H: Museum Planning and Management: Projects and Fundraising on Mondays from 6:30-9:30pm is recommended for 2nd year students.
- MSL2100H: Museum Environment, intensive format, on Fridays from 9-5pm IS for 2nd year students.
- MSL2303H: Special Topics in Museum Studies: The Digital Museum: From Strategy to Implementation (OSC) on Tuesdays from 1-4pm in the winter term will only have classes every week in the winter term, there will be no classes in the summer.
- INF1006H section 0106: Truth and Reconciliation Commission, Museums and Archives on Tuesdays from 1-4pm – several spots held for MMSt students, interested MMSt students will need permission by filling out an add/drop form
- MSL2350H: Museum Planning and Management: Projects and Fundraising is now on Wednesdays from 6:30-9:30pm in the fall term
MI Specific Information for Fall 2018 and Winter 2019 Courses (will be updated as needed):
- INF2158H: Management of Corporate and other Special Information Centres on Tuesdays from 6:30-9:30pm is only open to 2nd year + MI students.
- Information Workshop descriptions will be posted soon
- INF1005H runs from the week of January 7, 2019 to the week of February 11, 2019
- INF1006H runs from the week of February 25, 2019 to the week of April 1, 2019
- Each workshop counts as a quarter-credit course, together making up one half-credit course (0.5 FCE)
- ACORN will warn you of a timetable conflict if you enrol in two workshop sections that are scheduled in the same time slot, ie: INF1005H LEC0102 at 9am and INF1006H LEC0103 at 9am – as long as you have chosen 2 separate/different sections, you may disregard this warning as the two workshops run at different parts of the winter term, noted above
- Please ensure that you do not select the same workshop twice, ie: INF1005H LEC0101 is the same as INF1006H LEC010
- INF1005H and INF1006H information workshop on Culinary Archives is no longer offered
- INF2173H: Information Professional Practicum is only open to 2nd year + students
- INF3900H sections 0101 and 0103 are for 1st year MI students who are planning to to apply for co-op
- INF2162H: Rare Books and Manuscripts in the fall and winter terms are for 2nd year students only
- INF3910Y: Workplace Project, on Fridays modular format, are for ISDE students only
- INF2121H: Specialized Archives: Community Archives has been added and is on Mondays from 6:30-9:30pm in the winter term
- INF1602H: Fundamentals of UX on Mondays from 6:30-9;30pm and Wednesdays from 1-4pm in the fall term, you must choose both the lecture section and choose a practical section. INF1602H consists of a lecture component which will meet TWICE per week (Monday evening and Wednesday afternoon) for all students from September 10, 2018 to October 3, 2018, and one practical studio component which will meet ONCE per week. Students can’t wait list for the practicals so you must choose a practical that has spaces available.
- INF2122H: Digital Preservation & Curation on Tuesdays from 1-4pm in the fall term is for 2nd year students
- INF1341H: Systems Analysis and Process Innovation, modular format section on Fridays in the fall term – dates and times of when classes are meeting are added to fall timetable
- INF2191H: User Interface Design – additional section added in the winter term on Tuesdays from 6:30-9:30pm
- INF2305H: Special Topics in Information Studies: Power, Media and Technology on Fridays from 1-4pm in the winter term is not for 1st year students
- INF2198H: Special Topics in Information Studies: Readings in Feminist Technology on Tuesdays from 1-4pm in the winter term is not for 1st year students
- INF2040H: Project Management on Thursdays from 6:30-9:30pm in the fall term will remain on this day and tim
- INF1344H section 0102: Introduction to Statistics for Data Science has been added to the winter timetable on Tuesdays from 6:30-9:30pm
- INF2195H: Special Topics in Information Studies: Open Data: Government and Research on Wednesdays from 9-12pm in the winter term has been cancelled and is now an information workshop, INF1005H and INF1006H section 0113: Open Data, Private Data on Wednesdays from 9-12pm in the winter term
- INF2176H section 0102: Information Management in Organizations-Models and Platforms on Thursdays from 1-4pm in the fall term is cancelled
- INF2331H: The Future of the Book on Thursdays from 1-4pm in the winter term will now be on Thursdays from 1:30-4:30pm in the winter term
- INF1341H section 0102: System Analysis and Process Innovation, modular format, on 5 Fridays in the fall term, the revised dates and times for the classes are: Fri Sept 14, Fri Oct 12, Fri Nov 2, Fri Nov 16 and Fri Dec 7 from 9am-2pm (all 5 classes)
- INF2177H: Information Management and Systems, modular format, 5 Saturdays in the fall term, the revised dates and times for the classes are: Sat Sept 15, Sat Fri Oct 13, Fri Nov 3, Fri Nov 17 and Fri Dec 8 from 10-5pm (all 5 classes)
- INF1341H section 0101: Systems Analysis and Process Innovation on Wednesdays from 6:30-9:30pm, instructor is TBA
- INF2121H: Specialized Archives on Mondays from 6:30-9:30pm in the winter term is now cancelled
- INF1341H section 0103: Systems Analysis and Process Innovation on Wednesdays from 6:30-9:30pm, new section, for MHI students and some spots for MI students
- INF1005H and INF1006H section 0107 Information Workshops on Wednesdays from 9-12pm, the instructor is TBA
- INF2243H: Critical Histories of Information and Communication Technologies on Thursdays from 9-12pm in the winter term, instructor change
- INF2305H: Special Topics in Information Studies: Power, Media and Technology on Fridays from 1-4pm in the winter term, course is approved
- Final fall 2018 timetable posted on October 17, 2018
- INF2184H: Appraisal for Records Retention and Archives Acquisitions on Fridays from 9-12pm in the winter term, instructor added
- INF2191H sections 0101 and section 0102: User Interface Design on Wednesdays from 6:30-9:30pm and Tuesdays from 6:30-9:30pm, the instructor has been added to both sections
- INF1005H section 0106: Information Workshop I on Tuesdays from 1-4pm, the instructor has been added
- INF1006H section 0106: Information Workshop II on Tuesdays from 1-4pm, the instructor has been added
- INF1344H: Introduction to Statistics for Data Science, both sections on Tuesdays from 6:30-9:30pm, course description updated for the winter term
- INF2310H: Special Topics in Information Studies: Ethics, Vulnerable Population and Information Science on Wednesdays from 1-4pm is approved, title updated and course description added on the winter timetable and website
- INF1005H section 0109: Information Workshop 1 on Wednesdays from 1-4pm, instructor is TBA in the winter term
- INF1006H section 0109: Information Workshop II on Wednesdays from 1-4pm, instructor is TBA in the winter term
- INF2178H: Experimental Design for Data Science on Fridays from 1-4pm, instructor has been added in the winter term
PhD Specific Elective information: PhD Specific Elective information (see under Degree Requirements)
- INF3009H: Theory and History of Media Technology on Mondays from 1-4pm in the fall term
- INF2305H: Special Topics in Information Studies: Power, Media and Technology on Fridays from 1-4pm in the winter term
- INF2198H: Special Topics in Information Studies: Readings in Feminist Technology on Tuesdays from 1-4pm in the winter term
- INF2169H section 0102: User-Centred Information Systems Development. additional section added on Thursdays from 9-12pm in the winter term.
- Maximum course load for Full-time students is 2 FCEs (i.e., 4 half courses) per session.
- Maximum course load for Part time students is 1 FCEs (i.e., 2 half courses) per session.
- Students in a collaborative specialization may enrol in required courses for their collaborative specialization, plus their MI or MMSt courses.
- If in doubt, please contact the appropriate faculty liaisons.
MI students may be able to enrol in an MMSt (MSL-prefix) course in ACORN and MMSt students may be able to enrol in an MI (INF-prefix) course in ACORN if space is available, however, a completed and signed Add/Drop Course Form must be submitted to Student Services.
Find details on requesting external courses under External courses: outside your program of study and outside the iSchool at: https://ischool.utoronto.ca/current-students/programs-courses/enrollment-registration/
Overloading/Requests to take an additional course above full course load or beyond the minimum required to meet degree requirements
Full-time students wishing to enrol in a fifth course, or take an additional course beyond the minimum required to complete their degree requirements, must submit an Add/Drop Course Form between 9am, Tuesday, August 7 and 4pm, Friday, August 10.
The form must be signed, dated and include 3 courses, priority-ranked. The form may be emailed, faxed or submitted in person, but will only be accepted during the period stated above.
We will review all requests beginning Monday, August 13, 2018. Submitting a form does not guarantee enrolment. We will approve requests on a case by case basis.
Add/Drop Course Form and other forms may be:
- emailed to email@example.com,
- faxed to 416-978-5762, or
- submitted as hardcopies in person to BL211, or Mailbox #B71
SGS sessional dates: http://www.sgs.utoronto.ca/Documents/SGS-Sessional-Dates-2018-2019.pdf
Note that the deadline to submit Reading/Research Course forms and syllabi is the 15th of each month before the start of term (ie: April 15th, August 15th, December 15th).
Transfer/Exemptions deadline: Deadline: Requests for transfer credits and exemptions must be received within 10 business days of the first day of classes of the graduate term (Fall or Winter). More details can be found at: https://ischool.utoronto.ca/current-students/academic-resources/academic-regulations/
Questions or Concerns? Contact Colin Anderson, Associate Registrar at: firstname.lastname@example.org
Please contact your faculty advisor or the concentration liaison for help or refer to the Help Hub PDF.