Latest Faculty of Information News

Social Insurance Number Clinic – Service Canada

Submitted on Monday, December 11, 2017

Service Canada will be on campus to process Social Insurance Number (SIN) applications for students holding Canadian study permits.  Active University faculty and staff can also use this service – please review this link for primary documents required.

A SIN from Service Canada is required to work in Canada or to get benefits and services from government programs.

When: 2018 – Fri., Jan. 5 (10am to 4:30pm) + Fri., Jan. 12 (10am to 1pm) + Wed., Jan. 17 (10am-4:30pm)
Where: 33 St. George Street, Centre for International Experience, St. George Campus, University of Toronto.

For students interested in partaking this service, please sign up for an appointment via the Calendar of Student Life Events or by clicking on the dates mentioned above and prepare for the appointment as per the information outlined below.

To apply for a SIN to work on campus, the study permit must state one of the following conditions:

  • May work on campus if ….
  • May work off campus if ….
  • May work on or off campus if ….
  • May accept employment / may work in Canada if ….

 If your study permit does not have these conditions, but you meet the criteria, or your study permit states that you are “prohibited from working in Canada”, please review your options to change your study permit before applying for a SIN.

What to bring for SIN Clinic

To apply for a Social Insurance Number (SIN), to request a confirmation of your SIN or to amend your SIN record, you must provide the following original, valid documents as follow:

  • Primary Document AND
  • Passport / Government Photo ID

 Primary documents

A primary document is an official document that proves your identity and legal status in Canada.

  • It can be your work permit, or your study permit issued by Immigration, Refugees and Citizenship Canada (IRCC).  The study permit should indicate that you are authorized to work in Canada:
    • a study permit that indicates the permit holder “may accept employment” or “may work” in Canada; or
    • a study permit and a “confirmation to work off campus” letter issued by IRCC prior to February 11, 2015.

If neither of these requirements are met, you must contact IRCC to verify if you are eligible to apply for an amended study permit.

  • You must provide original documents; photocopies are not accepted.
  • All documents must be written in English or French or be accompanied by an official translation attested to by the translator before a notary public, or prepared by an officer of a foreign government or an official of a British or Canadian consulate.

Drop-in appointments may be available with wait time. 

Filed under: