If you will be completing the requirements for your degree by the end of Summer 2018, you are a “Summer Finisher” and must graduate in November 2018 either in absentia (no ceremony) OR with participation in the official Convocation ceremony held at Con Hall.
Please read the following information/timeline thoroughly and follow-up with the required steps in a timely manner:
1. Submit the online iSchool Intent to Convocate form between August 1st and September 1st to be reviewed for graduation eligbility. The form opens on August 1st.
- Even though you are still currently wrapping up your final courses this summer term, do not wait until your summer grades are available on ACORN (September 12, 2018) to submit the form.
- Based on your notification to the iSchool via our ItC form, we will submit your degree recommendation to SGS by their deadline of September 28th.
- Check your online ACORN invoice.
- Around early-July, you will see Fall 2018-Winter 2019 fees posted to your account.
Full-time, Two-year students:
- If you have already paid the Minimum Degree Fee (MDF is equivalent to 2-Years Full-Time fees), you do not pay fees for the Fall 2018-Winter 2019 session
- Fall 2018-Winter 2019 fees, including any interest that may accrue, will be removed mid-October 2018 in the weeks following September 28, 2018 (the date by which Degree Recommendations will be submitted to SGS), but until you are assessed and cleared for convocation mid-October, these fees are displayed on your account.
- It may take a few weeks after September 28th to clear your account, please do not worry.
Part-time students and Full-time students finishing earlier than the regular full-time period of 2 years:
- Fall 2018-Winter 2019 fees will also be removed mid-October 2018, however:
- You will likely have a Balance of Degree Fee that will be assessed by SGS and posted separately to your account closer to the date of convocation.
- Check your ACORN invoice and pay the Balance of Degree fee once posted, if applicable.
3. Name Changes
- Verify that the spelling of your name is correct as it appears in ACORN – this is the name that will appear on your diploma. Deadline for changes in time for November 2018 convocation: September 2018.
- Submit the School of Graduate Studies Name or Gender Change form along with photo ID to SGS Student Academic Services at 63 St. George Street between 9:30 a.m. and 4:30 p.m. This is to change: misspellings, the addition or deletion of a name, and the changing of a last name (due to marriage, etc.)
- Submit the Office of Convocation Name on Diploma (November) form to the Office of Convocation at 27 King’s College Circle. This is to change: the addition of accents or special characters only.
4. Degree Recommendations
All Degree Recommendations will be submitted by iSchool Student Services to the School of Graduate Studies (SGS) by September 28, 2018. You will receive a notification email to your UTmail+ account from iSchool’s firstname.lastname@example.org account once this has been done – this is your official notice/confirmation that you will be graduating. The Office of Convocation will email information on ordering your gown/hood and RSVP’ing/ordering guest tickets closer to convocation.
5. Wrapping Up
Continue to check your UTmail+ email account. Promptly follow-up on instructions you may receive from iSchool Student Services, the School of Graduate Studies (SGS), or the Office of Convocation. Find detailed information at: the iSchool page on Graduation and the SGS page on Graduation & Convocation.
Final Tests and Assignments: Please pick-up your graded final tests and assignments from the Student Services Office (BL211) only if your instructor has emailed you to let you know they have left them at the front desk.
Electronic Key Fobs: Please return your key fob to the front desk of the Student Services Office during our regular office hours, or to Mailbox #B71 or the Inforum (4th Floor) outside regular office hours.
Please note: students who started in Fall 2015 and onward did NOT pay a key fob deposit and will NOT be receiving money back. Those who paid $20 for a replacement key fob also will not receive the replacement fee back.
Lockers: If you have a rented locker for the 2017/18 academic year please be sure to clear all items and remove your lock from the locker. Please email Student Services at email@example.com to confirm that your locker has been cleared out.
6. Grad Photos
CanGrad may be at SGS (not the iSchool) in September 2018 to take graduation portraits. Further details TBA. UPDATED September 18, 2018: CanGrad will be taking grad photos for Summer Finishers/November grad. See the CanGrad Photos at SGS Fall 2018 poster for details.
Dates: October 17, 18, 19, 30, & 31 and November 1, 2, 6 & 7, 2018
Time: 10am – 4pm
Location: SGS, 63 St. George Street, Room 109
Fee: $35 with Class Composite (Portrait-only fee without class composite is $25 – includes the photography, your hood and gown, and the archiving of images )
Appointments are made directly with CanGrad by emailing firstname.lastname@example.org or calling 416-253-6466. Please note that students must make an appointment with Can-Grad and are not permitted to drop in.
7. November Convocation
Graduation in absentia (no ceremony):
See details on how to pick up your diploma.
Graduation with Convocation Ceremony:
Fall 2018 Convocation ceremonies will take place in November. Check the Office of Convocation website for updates on specific dates and times.
UPDATED September 18, 2018:
The Office of Convocation has set Wednesday, November 7, 2018 from 10am-12pm as the Fall 2018 Faculty of Information Convocation Ceremony. This includes PhD, CDP, MMSt, MI, and DAIS grads.
Please check their list of Upcoming Events for updates or changes and their specific deadlines for name changes, tickets, regalia etc.
UPDATED October 9, 2018:
Faculty of Information Convocation Reception: Wednesday, November 7, 2018 in the Inforum (for students graduating November 2018):
All graduating students are welcome to join us immediately after Convocation ceremonies on November 7th for the Convocation Reception! There will be beverages, hors d’oeuvres, amd presentations. Let’s celebrate all your hard work and accomplishments! Please RSVP by October 31st at: https://ischool.utoronto.ca/event/november-2018-convocation-reception/. (Max of 4 guests please!)
Helpful tips and reminders:
- Follow the Office of Convocation’s Graduation Checklist to ensure you have everything lined up for the big day.
- Check the Office of Convocation’s Gowns & Hoods and RSVP & Guest Tickets pages to see when you can book your regalia, RSVP your attendance for the ceremony and request guest tickets online via ACORN.
- If you’re not attending the ceremony, see details on how to pick up your diploma.
8. Continue to Learn!
Recent grads (up to 24 months from graduation date) are eligible for a Course credit of up to $750 for New Grads at UofT’s School of Continuing Studies.