If you will be completing the requirements for your degree by the end of Summer 2019, you are a “Summer Finisher” and must graduate in November 2019 either in absentia (no ceremony) OR with participation in the official Convocation ceremony held at Con Hall. If you choose to participate in the official Convocation ceremony, then you will only be able to attend the November 2019 session. You will not be able to attend alternate or future ceremonies.
Please read the following information/timeline thoroughly and follow-up with the required steps in a timely manner:
1. Submit the online iSchool Intent to Convocate form by September 1st to be reviewed for graduation eligbility. The form is now open.
- Even though you are still currently wrapping up your final courses this summer term, do not wait until your summer grades are available on ACORN (September 11, 2019) to submit the form.
- Based on your notification to the iSchool via our ItC form, we will submit your degree recommendation to SGS by their deadline of September 27th.
- Check your online ACORN invoice.
- Around mid-July, you will see Fall 2019-Winter 2020 fees posted to your account.
Full-time, Two-year students:
- If you have already paid the Minimum Degree Fee (MDF is equivalent to 2-Years Full-Time fees), you do not pay fees for the Fall 2019-Winter 2020 session
- Fall 2019-Winter 2020 fees, including any interest that may accrue, will be removed mid-October 2019 in the weeks following September 27, 2019 (the date by which Degree Recommendations will be submitted to SGS), but until you are assessed and cleared for convocation mid-October, these fees are displayed on your account.
- It may take a few weeks after September 27th to clear your account, please do not worry.
Part-time students and Full-time students finishing earlier than the regular full-time period of 2 years:
- Fall 2019-Winter 2020 fees will also be removed mid-October 2019, however:
- You will likely have a Balance of Degree Fee that will be assessed by SGS and posted separately to your account closer to the date of convocation.
- Check your ACORN invoice and pay the Balance of Degree fee once posted, if applicable.
3. Name Changes
- Verify that the spelling of your name is correct as it appears in ACORN – this is the name that will appear on your diploma. Deadline for changes in time for November 2019 convocation: September 17, 2019.
- Submit the School of Graduate Studies Name or Gender Change form via the SGS portal. This is to change: misspellings, the addition or deletion of a name, and the changing of a last name (due to marriage, etc.)
- Submit the Office of Convocation the Name on Diploma (November 2019) form to the Office of Convocation at 27 King’s College Circle. This is to change: the addition of accents or special characters only.
4. Degree Recommendations
All Degree Recommendations will be submitted by iSchool Student Services to the School of Graduate Studies (SGS) by September 27, 2019. You will receive a notification email to your UTmail+ account from iSchool’s firstname.lastname@example.org account once this has been done – this is your official notice/confirmation that you will be graduating. The Office of Convocation will email information on ordering your gown/hood and RSVP’ing/ordering guest tickets closer to convocation.
5. Wrapping Up
Continue to check your UTmail+ email account. Promptly follow-up on instructions you may receive from iSchool Student Services, the School of Graduate Studies (SGS), or the Office of Convocation. Find detailed information at: the iSchool page on Graduation (including process to request a Confirmation of Degree Letter) and the SGS page on Graduation & Convocation.
Final Tests and Assignments: Please pick-up your graded final tests and assignments from the Student Services Office (BL211) only if your instructor has emailed you to let you know they have left them at the front desk.
Electronic Key Fobs: Please return your key fob to the front desk of the Student Services Office during our regular office hours, or to Mailbox #B72 or the Inforum (4th Floor) outside regular office hours.
Please note: students who started in Fall 2015 and onward did NOT pay a key fob deposit and will NOT be receiving money back. Those who paid $20 for a replacement key fob also will not receive the replacement fee back.
Lockers: If you have a rented locker for the 2018/19 academic year please be sure to clear all items and remove your lock from the locker. Please email Student Services at email@example.com to confirm that your locker has been cleared out. Lockers not cleared by August 2020 will be emptied/cleared by mid-August. Items found will be disposed by August 31st.
6. Grad Photos
CanGrad may be at SGS (not the iSchool) in September 2019 to take graduation portraits. Further details updated September 5th:
Dates: October 11, 28, 30, 31 + November 4, 6, 13, 14, 2019
Time: 10am – 4pm
Location: SGS, 63 St. George Street, Room 109
Fee: $35 with Class Composite (Portrait-only fee without class composite is $25 – includes the photography, your hood and gown, and the archiving of images )
Appointments are made directly with CanGrad by emailing firstname.lastname@example.org or calling 416-253-6466. Please note that students must make an appointment with Can-Grad and are not permitted to drop in.
See the CanGrad at SGS November Poster
7. November Convocation
Graduation in absentia (no ceremony):
See details on how to pick up your diploma at the end of the convocation period.
Graduation with Convocation Ceremony:
Fall 2019 Convocation ceremonies will take place between November 4-8, 2019. Check the Office of Convocation website for updates on specific dates and times.
Please check their list of Upcoming Events for updates or changes and their specific deadlines for name changes, tickets, regalia etc.
Updated August 14, 2019:
PhD, MI, MMSt, CDP, DAIS
Convocation Ceremony Date: Tuesday, November, 5, 2019
Location: Convocation Hall
iSchool Convocation Reception: Tuesday, November 5, 2019 in the Inforum (for Graduating Students):
Let’s celebrate all your hard work and accomplishments! All November 2019 graduands are welcome to join us for the Convocation Reception! The reception will take place immediately after the Convocation ceremony from 12-1:30pm (remarks begin at approximately 12:45pm) in the Inforum. There will be refreshments and lunch available at 12pm noon, with remarks from the Dean at 12:45pm.
iSchool Convocation Reception Date: Tuesday, November 5, 2019
Time: 12 noon- 1:30pm (following Convocation Ceremony at Convocation Hall)
Location: Inforum library (4th floor)
140 St. George Street, Faculty of Information
Please RSVP by October 31, 2019
If you require an accommodation or have any food allergies, please let us know.
Helpful tips and reminders:
- Follow the Office of Convocation’s Graduation Checklist to ensure you have everything lined up for the big day.
- Check the Office of Convocation’s Gowns & Hoods and RSVP & Guest Tickets pages to see when you can book your regalia, RSVP your attendance for the ceremony and request guest tickets online via ACORN.
- If you’re not attending the ceremony, see details on how to pick up your diploma.
8. Continue to Learn!
Recent grads (up to 24 months from graduation date) are eligible for a Course credit of up to $550 for New Grads at UofT’s School of Continuing Studies.