Work Permit Information

As an international student at U of T, you will need to navigate Canadian immigration requirements. The Immigration Advisors at the Centre for International Experience are available help you sort through processes and paperwork.

Inquiries & contact information

To send a written question to the Immigration Advisors, please email

To book an appointment for a phone or video call with an advisor online, please do so through the Career and Co-Curricular Learning Network (CLNx)More detailed information is available here: Advising: Immigration page.

Co-op Work Permit

If you are an international student with full-time registration status and a valid study permit, you are eligible to work in Canada with some conditions.

Please visit the Centre for International Experience website for the most current information and to access relevant Immigration workshops.

If you are an international student hoping to complete a full time, paid Work-integrated-Learning opportunity, such as Co-op, the Faculty’s Career Officer will provide you with a Letter of Eligibility to submit towards your application for the co-op work permit.  Further details on how to access the Letter of Eligibility will be shared in the Fall semester prior to the Co-op  start date in the Summer term.


All non-Co-op students are considered to be on a “Scheduled Break” for the Summer term after Year 1.

MI Co-op students, as part of the design of this stream, they will be registered full-time in the Summer, while working full-time on their Co-op under a co-op work permit. Therefore, the Summer term after Year 1 is considered as a regular academic term for MI Co-op students. 

back to the top