Academic Regulations

Students are expected to become familiar with all regulations that pertain to their studies while at the Faculty of Information.

Academic rules, regulations & procedures

Grades and grading

The Faculty of Information follows the University Assessment and Grading Practices Policy. This policy details the Faculty’s policy on course procedures, examinations, and other assessments in courses. Also covered: the grade review and approval process; exceptional circumstances and academic appeals; conflicts of interest; and procedures in the event of disruptions to the graduate academic program.

The Faculty also follow the following grade interpretation guideline for graduate level work: Grade Interpretation Guidelines (vers. Aug 2020)

Calculating Grade Point Averages (GPA)

Use this GPA calculator to tentatively and unofficially crunch your numbers.

Graduate grading scale:

Letter Grade Scale Numerical Scale of Marks
A+ 90-100%
A 85-89%
A- 80-84%
B+ 77-79%
B 73-76%
B- 70-72%
FZ 0-69%

FZ = Fail

Final grades, at the graduate level, are presented as letter grades on the official UofT transcript. Numerical grades are not provided.

Undergraduate grading scale:

Numerical Scale of Mark Letter Grade Refined Grade Point Value
90-100 A+ 4.0
85-89 A 4.0
80-84 A- 3.7
77-79 B+ 3.3
73-76 B 3.0
70-72 B- 2.7
67-69 C+ 2.3
63-66 C 2.0
60-62 C- 1.7
57-59 D+ 1.3
53-56 D 1.0
50-52 D- 0.7
0-49 F 0.0

F = Fail

Final grades, at the Undergraduate level, are presented as numerical grades with a corresponding letter grade on the official UofT transcript.

Non-grade Symbols

The following non-grade symbols may appear on grade reports and transcripts instead of course marks and /or equivalent letter grades. They have no grade point or term sessional average values:

  • CR/NCR: Credit/No Credit. Used to report results for academic requirements such as Co-op or courses taken abroad in partner institutions. The grades CR and NCR have no numerical equivalence and are not included in the calculation of Sessional and Cumulative Averages.
  • GWR: Grade withheld pending review under the Code of Behaviour on Academic Matters.
  • IPR: (Course) in progress.
  • NGA: No grade available.
  • SDF: Standing deferred on the basis of incomplete course work because of medical or similar reasons (to be replaced by a regular mark before the expiry of a specified extension period).
  • WDR: Granted privilege of late withdrawal without academic penalty from a course caused by circumstances beyond the student’s control.

The following non-grade statements may appear on grade reports and transcripts in conjunction with the course mark and letter grade:

  • EXT: Extra course. Not for degree credit; course has no effect on status or grade point average.

back to the top 

Leave of Absences, stop-outs and withdrawals

For any student considering take some time away from their degree program, they should make an appointment with their advisor to discuss available options. Students can contact their academic advisors at

Leave of Absences

Faculty of Information students are able to request to time away from the Faculty/University if they experience one of the following without having their time away count towards their degree duration:

  1. health or personal problems which temporarily make it impossible to continue in the program; or
  2. parental leave by either parent at the time of pregnancy, birth or adoption, and/or to provide full-time care during the child’s first year. Parental leave must be completed within 12 months of the date of birth or custody. Where both parents are graduate students taking leave, the combined total number of sessions may not exceed four. Learn about the SGS Parental ​Grant program.

Once on leave, students will neither be registered nor will they be required to pay fees for this period. Since students are not considered as registered students of the University while on a Leave of Absence, students on leave will not be eligible to receive University of Toronto financial assistance. In the case of other graduate student awards, the regulations of the particular granting agency apply.

Students may request for a leave of absence by completing the Leave of Absence Form and submitting it to the Faculty at The form is then sent to the School of Graduate Studies for processing. For any student considering take some time away from their degree program, they should make an appointment with their advisor to discuss available options. Students can contact their academic advisors at

An approved Leave of Absence will put a pause to student’s academic progress and time allowed to complete degree requirements. Students may request for one term, two terms or three terms of leave.

Except for parental leave or in exceptional circumstances, it is not expected that a student will be granted more than one leave under the terms of this policy.

Students on leave may request continued access to U of T library services by sending an email to The School of Graduate Studies will review the request and contact the library to allow access to library services if the request is approved.

Temporary Stop-Outs

If students wish to be away from the Faculty for reasons outside of the scope of a Leave of Absence (above), they may request to temporarily stop-out and re-register within 12 months without re-applying to the program. This does require the approval of the Faculty. Unlike a leave of absence, the stop-out period is included in the time period for completion of your degree.

To request for a temporarily stop-out from your program, complete the Program Temporary Stop-Out form and submit it to the Student Services team at for consideration.


Due to various personal circumstances, students may with to fully withdraw from their program of study. In that case, the student will complete the Program Withdrawal form and submit it to the Faculty at For any student considering a program withdrawal, they should make an appointment with their advisor to discuss available options. Students can contact their academic advisors at

Students with key fobs or lockers must return their fobs and clear their belongings from their lockers.

Withdrawn students must re-apply for admission, and will be in competition with other applicants.

Depending upon when you withdraw, you may receive a fees rebate. A refund schedule is available at Student Accounts. You may be required to refund all or a portion of your funding and/or awards to the University. Contact your graduate unit with any funding-related questions and the Graduate Awards Office at SGS with any awards-related questions.

back to the top 

Performance, appeals & sanctions​

Academic Performance

The Faculty of Information adheres to the grade scales, the non-grade course reports and the grading procedures as set down in the School of Graduate Studies (SGS) Calendar. A student whose academic performance is considered unsatisfactory may at any time, on the recommendation of the iSchool and with SGS approval, have his/her registration terminated.

Satisfactory performance in a program

Requires completion of all courses in the program with a grade of at least B- or CR.

Courses taken in other faculties or schools for credit towards a Faculty of Information degree must meet the same grade standard.

A student who receives less than B- standing in three (3) half-courses may have her/his registration terminated. Please note that the School of Graduate Studies allows the Graduate Unit to recommend termination of registration upon a student failing (FZ) or receiving NCR in one (1) course (SGS Calendar)

Failures (FZ)

Failed (FZ) required courses must be repeated to meet degree requirements.

Failed elective courses may be repeated or another course taken to meet degree requirements. The grade of the failed course will contribute 0 to your overall GPA.

Failed courses may only be repeated.

Students who are repeating courses may not use assignments previously submitted.

No student is permitted to repeat a course without attending its classes again.

Failures (FZ) do appear on transcripts.

Students who fail a course must meet with the Registrar in order to review their progress in the program. Students who fail two courses must meet with the Graduate Coordinator as they are no longer considered to be making good progress in the program.

For students that were negatively impacted due to extenuating circumstances may be eligible to petition to the Committee on Standing or the Graduate Department Academic Appeal Committee. Student should book an appointment with their academic advisor to discuss options going forward.


No supplemental examinations are permitted

Special examinations may be provided for students who cannot write their final examinations, or whose performance is adversely affected by reason of illness, domestic affliction, or other causes

Requests for special consideration must be submitted within three (3) days after the examination period, along with a medical certificate (which includes a statement that the student was examined at the time of his/her illness), or other supporting evidence

Medical certificates must: (1) confirm that the student was adversely affected by her/his health problems; (2) show the dates of illness; and, (3) state that the physician was consulted at the time of illness

Academic petitions & appeals


Students may petition with respect to the applicability to them of any academic regulation of the Faculty. These petitions must show the grounds on which they believe that the regulation should be waived or altered. Students should consult their academic advisor before proceeding with a petition and/or appeal.

Quick links to frequent petition scenarios:

Petitions are reviewed and decided by the Faculty Committee on Standing.

The Committee on Standing typically convenes at the end of each term for petition review:

  • Summer petitions: end of August/beginning of September
  • Fall petitions: end of December/beginning of January
  • Winter petitions: end of April/beginning of May


An Undergraduate student wishing to appeal a decision with respect to any petition should submit an appeal in written form to the Faculty Academic Appeals Board via the Office of Student Services.

Graduate student wishing to appeal a decision with respect to any petition should submit an appeal, in written form, to the Graduate Department Academic Appeals Committee (GDAAC).

Students are eligible to submit an appeal within 8 weeks of receiving a petition decision or occurrence of event (e.g. received a final grade).

This Committee constitutes part of the overall academic appeals procedures available to Faculty of Information students at the University of Toronto. The Committee is advisory to the Faculty Dean who is not bound by the Committee’s recommendation.

Within the overall academic appeals procedure, this Academic Appeals Committee has a high level of discipline-specific academic expertise to judge the academic matters in an appeal. Therefore, this Committee plays a crucial role in the overall appeals procedure. This Committee may consider only academic matters. Decisions related to admission to an academic program, including admission to the doctoral program for current master’s students, are not subject to appeal. Issues relating to non-academic matters (for example, fees) are not to be considered by the Committee.

These guidelines will be made available to the Committee membership, and to all appellants. It is within the authority of the Dean to alter any of the procedures outlined herein, if circumstances warrant.  However, members of the Committee and the appellant should be notified in writing as soon as possible of any changes in procedures and reasons for the changes.

Upon the recommendation of the Faculty Academic Appeals Committee or GDAAC, the Dean will make a final decision on the student’s appeal. The Dean’s decision is considered the final decision of the Faculty.

An Undergraduate student wishing to appeal a decision made by the Faculty through the recommendation of the Faculty’s Academic Appeals Committee should submit an appeal, in written form, to the University Governing Council via the Office of Appeals, Discipline and Faculty Grievances (ADFG).

Graduate student wishing to appeal a decision made by the Faculty through the GDAAC should submit an appeal, in written form, to the Graduate Academic Appeals Board (GAAB) via the School of Graduate Studies

Students may not appeal admissions decisions, fees and the voluntary withdrawal from a graduate program.

Academic sanctions and misconduct

Please review notes under Student Rights & ResponsibilitiesUntil the student’s obligations have been discharged, the Faculty of Information is not permitted to give such students letters stating that they have completed their degree requirements.

back to the top 

Student Rights & Responsibilities

Honesty and fairness are considered fundamental values shared by students, staff and faculty at the University of Toronto.

The University’s policies and procedures that deal with cases of cheating, plagiarism and other forms of academic misconduct, are designed to protect the integrity of the institution and to maintain a community where competition is fair.

As a result, U of T treats cases of academic misconduct very seriously. If it has been alleged you committed an academic offence, you will find that the allegation is dealt with formally and seriously, and the penalties can be severe if it is determined that you did cheat.

All of the policies and procedures surrounding academic offences are dealt within one policy: The Code of Behaviour on Academic Matters.

The Academic Integrity Handbook can help inform and prepare you for a successful university career free from academic misconduct.

Quick links:

back to the top