Enrolment & Registration

Experience the Faculty of Information

Here are the resources to help you create a fulfilling journey at the Faculty.

Last Updated: April 5, 12:56 PM ET

COVID-19 related updates regarding upcoming Term(s) and more can be found on the COVID-19 Information for Students page.

Please review the information below regarding the enrolment and registration process. If you have any questions, please consult the Student Services team at inquire.ischool@utoronto.ca.

Auditing Courses

The Faculty of Information follows the University of Toronto’s Policy on Auditing of Courses (PDF).

To request to audit a course:

    1. Complete the Application to Audit an iSchool Course Form (PDF)
    2. Request for the instructor’s approval to audit their course; get the instructor’s signature on the form if permissible
    3. Email the completed form to Student Services for final approval. If a course is full, even with instructor’s permission, you may not be eligible to audit the course.

An audit fee ($500) will apply to individuals outside of the University of Toronto.

Understanding Course Codes

Before you begin at the Faculty of Information, you may wish view this guide on understanding University of Toronto / Faculty of Information course codes and how to read them to ensure you are enrolling into courses of the appropriate level, and in the correct term!

Standard Course Loads

Standard course loads for Master of Information students. CR = Credit.
Fall Term: September–December 2.0 CR 1.0 CR
Winter Term: January–April 2.0 CR 1.0 CR
Summer Term: May–August
2.0 CR 1.0 CR

MI Full-Time students: Reducing your courseload to 1.0-credits in a term does NOT automatically switch you to PT. Our MI students are able to remain as a FT student despite only carrying 1.0-credits or less. To transfer from a FT status to PT status—an active step that needs to be taken.

MMSt Students: Full-Time status with 2.0-credits per term allowed; Summer session is optional.

CDP Students: Full-Time status with 2.0-credits per term allowed (though some terms might have a 2.5-credits allowable quota); Summer session is optional.

BI Students: Full-Time status with 2.5-credits per term in the Fall and Winter; part-time status with 1.0-credits in the Summer.

Doctoral Students: continuous Full-Time status throughout their degree duration.

For students that may be interested in taking additional courses, please review information on taking extra courses.

Also, if you wish to take an additional course (on top of the standard course load outlined above) in a term (e.g. a full-time MI student wishing to take 2.5-credits in a term):

    • Students must also submit a Faculty of Information Course Overload Request Form. Submitting a request does not guarantee enrolment. Each request is reviewed on a case by case basis;
    • First year students in their first term are ineligible to request for an additional course.
    • Part-time students are not eligible to request for an overload—they are to only take 1.0-credit per term.

Enrolment & Registration Guides

Links to Enrolment & Registration Guides for BI, MI, MMSt, and PhD programs.
Fall & Winter Enrolment & Registration Guides
Bachelor of Information Enrolment & Registration Guide Master of Information Enrolment & Registration Guide Master of Museum Studies Enrolment & Registration Guide PhD Enrolment & Registration Guide

Confirmation of Registration

Students may need a letter to confirm their registration status at the University and Faculty for a variety of reasons. Depending on what the need of the letter is, we have outlined the various types and ways students could go about obtaining that confirmation.

Coursework Extensions — Requesting Extensions Beyond the End of Term

To learn more, view our page on coursework extensions.

Dropping Courses

Students may wish to drop a course / course(s) that they are taking for a variety of reasons. It is important to familiarize yourself with the drop process.

External Courses — Taking Courses Outside of Your Degree Program

Taking external courses is a great way to broaden your competencies beyond the walls of the Claude Bissell building. An “external” courses refer to any course that is outside of your current degree program.

For our Bachelor’s and Master’s students students, please follow our guide on taking external courses.

For our doctoral students, please review the “Procedures to enrol in elective courses” on the PhD degree program page.

Extra Courses — Taking Courses Not Required for your Degree Program

Please view Extra Courses for more information on taking courses outside of your program.

Reading Courses

Reading Courses serve as a way to meet the needs of individual students who wish to explore topics not covered by courses currently offered at the Faculty of Information. They are categorized as elective courses, and are subject to the same regulations as other elective courses.

For our Bachelor’s and Master’s students, please follow our guide on Reading courses.

For our doctoral students, please review the information under the PhD degree program page. For the procedure on how to enrol in elective, courses, navigate to the Procedures to enrol in elective courses section.

Transfer Credits, Exemptions & Pre-requisite Waivers

Please view the information on transfer credits, exemptions, and pre-requisite waivers.

Transferring / Switching

For MI students that may be interested in transferring / switching between part-time and full-time; or transferring between concentrations, please review the information on Transferring.

Our Bachelor, MMSt, and Doctoral programs are only offered on a full-time basis. If you are experiencing difficulties in managing your courseload, please connect with the your academic advisor on available options. You may also be interested to review our Wellness and Learning supports page on Faculty, University and external resources.