The Bachelor of Information (BI) is a professional, two year, second-entry undergraduate degree program.
Applications for Fall 2023 entry is now OPEN.
Last Updated: April 25, 11:50 AM ET
COVID-19 related updates regarding upcoming Term(s) and more can be found on the COVID-19 Information for Students page.
The minimum academic requirements are outlined in the table below. Please note that we do not accept applicants directly from high school, we require a minimum of 2 years of university study.
* If at the time of application you are in the spring of your second year, only the first 1.5 years of academic standing will be available for academic assessment. Acceptance into the program will be conditional upon the candidate completing second year and achieving the required academic minimums.
In addition to meeting the minimum academic requirements, you must submit the required supporting documentation in order for your application to be considered complete.
Personal Statement (required)
This is your chance to be creative! We want to get to know you and why you and the BI Program are right for each other. You can present your statement using your choice of media:
- 90-second video (we are interested in the message, not your video production skills!)
- Personal essay (400-500 words)
- Website / Portfolio
- Slideshow presentation
- A storyboard telling a story about what you hope your two years in the program would be like
- Or any other format that allows you best to communicate your ideas and helps us get to know you
Some aspects you might want to consider your personal statement (but you are free to take whatever approach makes sense for you):
- Why does the BI program make sense for you at this point in your education?
- How do the required courses in the BI program excite you intellectually?
- Recount an experience working on a project, either solo or on a team, in a way that helps
us to get to know you as a thinker and a do-er.
- What kind of electives might you take in your second year to make the BI program your own?
- What kind of impact do you want to have on the world?
Email your personal statement to email@example.com
Unofficial transcript (required)
- If you are attending a post-secondary institution in Ontario order your transcript through the OUAC application, OR
- Email a copy of your unofficial university transcript to firstname.lastname@example.org
For the purpose of the application review, unofficial transcripts may be submitted:
- If an offer of admission is made, official final transcripts needs to be received at the Faculty as part of the offer condition(s).
- Transcripts are considered official when they have been prepared, sealed in an envelope and signed over the back flap by an official at the issuing institution. They are to be sent directly to the Faculty of Information:
- University of Toronto, 140 St. George Street, Toronto, Ontario, Canada M5S 3G6
Transcript Explanation Essay (optional)
- Transcripts don’t always speak for themselves or tell the whole story. We invite you to submit a brief (250 words max) statement that helps us read your transcript. You might wish to explain any circumstances that may have led to sub-optimal academic performance or tell the story of a change in your academic direction.
- Submit this as part of your supporting documents via email to email@example.com
Proof of English Facility (if applicable)
- All applicants educated outside Canada whose primary language is not English must demonstrate proficiency in the English language.
- For complete information on how to satisfy this requirement, please visit English Language Requirements.
How to Apply
Applications for Fall 2023 entry is now open. The deadline to apply is May 1, 2023.
Apply through OUAC (105 Application)
- if you are NOT currently attending an Ontario high school day program (in Ontario or abroad), AND
- if you are NOT a current or former U of T student.
- if you were previously or are currently registered as a student at U of T
Apply through the International Application
You are required to email your personal statement and a copy of your unofficial transcript to firstname.lastname@example.org. Make sure your email includes your full name as it appears on your application.
- currently reside outside of Canada, AND
- are not currently studying, and have not previously studied in Canada, AND
- are not applying to any other Ontario university
Upcoming Admissions Events
To view and register for our upcoming Bachelor of Information admissions events, please view our Admissions Events and Tours page.
VIDEO: Meet our Students!