As an international student, you will need valid immigration documents to live and study in Canada.

It is your responsibility to make sure that all of your immigration and legal documents are maintained and up-to-date. CIE holds regular information sessions and workshops to help you understand your responsibilities. Please regularly check CIE’s website for updated information and workshop dates.

Required documents to study in Canada

  • A valid passport
  • A Study Permit: If you want to study in Canada for more than six months (and are not a Canadian citizen or permanent resident) you will need to get a Study Permit before you arrive here.
  • A Temporary Resident Visa or an Electronic Travel Authorization (eTA): Depending on your country of origin, you may also need a Temporary Resident Visa (Entry Visa or aneTA) before entering Canada.

Living and Working in Canada

The UofT Centre for International Experience offers support for international students, including information about:

Living in Toronto (Housing, Climate, Transportation, Safety, Child Care)
Working in Canada (On-Campus, Off-Campus, Co-op, Post-Graduation)

Additional information is also available via Citizenship and Immigration Canada:

Get a Student Work Permit

Study Permit/Visa

Prospective students who are neither a Canadian citizen, nor a permanent resident, must obtain a study permit from a Canadian embassy, consulate, or high commission outside of Canada. Students from many countries may also need to obtain an entry visa.

More information: