Bachelor of Information (BI) Students
Fall & Winter 2023–24 Enrolment & Registration Guide
Please review the information below on the enrolment and registration process. If you have any questions, please email the Student Services team.
Understanding Enrolment & Registration
- The process of choosing and signing up for courses on the University of Toronto Student Web Service, also known as ACORN.
- A student is only considered “registered” once they have made minimum tuition payment.
- Students are able to enroll into courses without making tuition payment first. Course enrolment start date is typically late July, and minimum payment is typically due late August.
- However, to keep all the courses you have enrolled into, tuition fees need to be received by the University prior to classes starting.
- The Minimum Payment to Register for Fall & Winter is: Arrears + 100% of Fall tuition fees.
- Please review this page for information on how and when to make tuition payments.
Adding & Dropping Courses
- Student Services automatically enrols you in your required courses. However, in your second year you will need to enrol in electives.
- To add / enrol into an elective course, you will do so through ACORN, under “Enrol & Manage”.
- Students are only able to add / enrol into courses once enrolment has started. Every Faculty has their own enrolment start times. Be sure to review the information shared under key academic dates and deadlines to find the appropriate enrolment start times.
- Always check that the elective courses you have selected are approved by Student Services.
- If you are interested in enrolling into courses outside of your degree program, please review our guide on taking external courses.
- Get to know what the standard courseload is for you!
Taking an Additional Course
If you wish to take an additional course in a term, please review our information page on extra courses:
- Students who wish to take an additional course beyond their standard course load in a term must submit a BI Add / Drop Course Form (PDF) with a statement of rationale firstname.lastname@example.org by the final date to enrol into course(s) for the term you wish to take the course in;
- Submitting a request does not guarantee enrolment. Each request is reviewed on a case by case basis;
- First year students in their first term are ineligible to request for an additional course.
Likewise, if you need to drop course(s) during an academic term, you will also do so through ACORN. Please review our guide on dropping courses. Every term, there is a deadline by which students can drop course(s) without any academic penalty. Please refer to key academic dates and deadlines below to find out the drop deadlines for Fall & Winter courses.
Credit / No Credit
BI students are eligible to take up to 1.0 FCE as CR/NCR. This option is not available for the required INF courses, only elective courses.
Academic Dates & Deadlines
Please view this page for information on the Academic Dates & Deadlines for the Faculty of Information
Fall & Winter Courses and Timetable
Tentative Fall 2023 / Winter 2024 timetables will be made available on our Course Timetables page in mid July. You should always make it a habit to check regularly for any updates!
Be sure to review the recommended timelines for how and when to make a tuition payment if you are applying for government financial aid, awards and scholarships, or work-study positions.
The University Student Fees office has outlined various options on how students can make tuition payments:
- Pay from a Canadian bank
- Submit an online credit card payment (will incur a service charge)
- Convert Aeroplan & TD Travel Rewards Points into credits towards paying fees
- Pay with OSAP or other government student loans
- Pay through Convera or Flywire (for students outside of Canada)