COVID-19 related updates regarding upcoming Term(s) and more can be found on the COVID-19 Information for Students page.
The information below is only applicable to our Master of Information (MI) students. Our Bachelor of Infomration (BI), Master of Museum Studies (MMSt), and Doctoral programs are only offered on a full-time basis. If you are experiencing difficulties in managing your courseload, please connect with your academic advisor on all available options.
You may also be interested to review our Wellness and Learning Supports page on Faculty, University and external resources.
Transferring from Full-Time (FT) to Part-Time (PT)
For students considering switching registration status from FT to PT, please keep in mind that this switch must be done prior to the start of the winter session in your second year or you will be locked in as a FT student as per SGS policy.
PT students are eligible to take up to 1.0-credits per term, and FT students are eligible to take up to 2.0-credits per term.
Example for an MI student who started their program Fall 2020:
- Year 1
- Fall 2020: FT
- Winter 2021: FT
- Summer 2021: FT
- Year 2
- Fall 2021: FT
- Winter 2022: Final period to request for a switch to Part-Time (PT) before you get locked as a Full-Time (FT) student going forward.
THINGS TO TAKE NOTE OF WHEN CONSIDERING WHETHER YOU SHOULD SWITCH TO PART-TIME FROM FULL-TIME:
- Reducing your courseload to 1.0-credits in a term does NOT automatically switch you to PT. Our MI students are able to remain as a FT student despite only carrying 1.0-credits or less.
- To transfer from a FT status to PT status – an active step that needs to be taken:
- To initiate this process, please complete the Program Transfer Form (PDF) and submit to Student Services via email.
- We encourage you to book an appointment with your academic advisor first to discuss if it makes sense for you to switch to PT or just leave yourself in FT based on your academic progress and plan.
- Students who transfer from full-time status to part-time status will be eligible to pay part-time tuition fees once the transfer/switch has been made.
- While part-time students pay part-time program fee in a term, do note that you will likely be subject to a Balance of Degree fee, upon completing degree requirements.
- Switching to PT may impact your OSAP funding if you’d initially applied for and received/receiving full-time OSAP.
- You’ll need to inform OSAP of this change in writing (email to firstname.lastname@example.org).
- The amount of OSAP funding you received under the full-time status might undergo changes given that PT tuition fee is a lot lower than FT fees. Please connect with an OSAP staff member to discuss the financial aid implications.
Transferring from Part-Time (PT) to Full-Time (FT)
For students considering switching from PT to FT: students often switch to FT so that they are able to speed up completing their degree requirements. PT students are eligible to take up to 1.0-credits per term, and FT students are eligible to take up to 2.0-credits per term.
Please complete the Program Transfer Form (PDF) and submit to Student Services via email. You may wish to talk to an academic advisor first to discuss your academic planning.
Students who transfer from Part-Time status to Full-Time status will be charged Full-Time tuition fees once the transfer / switch has been made.
- Important Note: You may be subject to a Balance of Degree Fee, upon completing degree requirements.
Transferring Between Concentrations
For students considering switching from one concentration to another, or to add another concentration to their MI degree (MI students are eligible to pick up to 2 concentrations), you are eligible to do so on ACORN at anytime during your study period with the Faculty, prior to graduation.
Prior to adding / dropping a concentration, students may wish to discuss their academic plan with an academic advisor first to discuss your academic planning.
To Enrol into or Add a Concentration
- Log into ACORN with your UTORid and Password.
- From the ACORN dashboard, click Enrol & Manage on the left hand menu.
- On the Enrol & Manage landing screen click the Programs button.
- To enrol in a concentration, use the search field to search for concentration by concentration title. Results will start appearing after three characters.
- Click on the concentration you would like to enrol in.
- On the program enrolment pop-up modal, review the information presented and click Enrol.
To Drop a Concentration
- On the Programs screen, click the gear icon on the top right corner of the concentration you want to drop.
- Select Remove Program from the drop-down menu that appears.
- On the program pop-up modal that appears, review the information presented and click Drop.
- If you have successfully dropped the concentration you will receive a success notice on the top right corner of your screen and the concentration will no longer be listed under your currently enrolled programs.
Transferring to the Faculty of Information
For prospective students that may wish to transfer to the Faculty of Information should consult the admission requirements of our degree programs.